Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
HPV misdiagnosed?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

HPV misdiagnosed?

Nine years ago toward the end of my pregnancy I was diagnosed with HPV. Ever since then I have had annual pap smears which have always came back normal and as a preventative measure I ask to be tested for all STDs and STIs through a pap smear and through blood work, every time. This is why I am confused. I understand there may be no symptoms with HPV (which I do not have any symptoms) but through a pap smear and blood work testing for all STDs or STIs how has this never shown up or been mentioned again? Could I have been misdiagnosed? Could have been infected hair follicles that caused the bumps during my pregnancy or hormones? If I was diagnosed nine years ago then why have all me results came back negative ever since then? Please help me clarify this confusion!  Im scared to bring this up to my gynecologist because I dont want it put back in my record if it isnt even true. Additionally, the nurse practitioner who diagnosed me was extremely rude (she seemed to have a problem with me because i was pregnant, young, and there was not father, not that i need to explain but I did not have a consensual one night stand.. enough said.) She told me during a sonogram. Wouldnt she have needed to do a sonogram for this dianosis? Or could she have made that diagnosis simply from the bumps that were present then but have never been present since? She also said something about a smell or odor and told me that because of this smell/odor that I have HPV. When I was pregnant of course my hormones were out of whack and my PH was not always normal which sometimes caused an odor and sometimes there were not. Can anyone please help me?!?! Is there a way to find out exactly what all my pap smear say in order to know if there are cervical changes that could be linked back to HPV? Also, if I requested medical records for my last annual exam along with all the STD or STI tests that were done I would be able to see if they tested for HPV correct? Is HPV something that is tested for normally when I ask to be tested for all or any diseases? Can anyone please help me understand?
In 90% of cases, the body’s immune system clears HPV naturally within two years.  But, sometimes, HPV infections are not cleared and can have HPV even if years have passed since he or she had sexual contact with an infected person. Diagnosis of genital warts is usually clinical, made by visual inspection. Genital warts can be confirmed by biopsy but Sometimes we can use an enhancing technique called acetowhitening. This technique involves the application of 5% acetic acid solution to the area of suspicion for about 5-10 minutes. Infected areas will turn white.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.