Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
HPV question

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

HPV question

Hi, I have been with the same guy for 5 years and when we first started being sexually active I had an abnormal pap and they never diagnosed me with HVP but they took some cells and didn't find anything.  My guy about 2 maybe 2 1/2 years ago found a wart on the shaft of his penis and went to the dr. and was told it was HPV and they removed the wart.  We have not had sex since and he was told it would clear in 2 years or so, and it hasn't came back as of yet.  I've been checked for HPV about 6 months ago per my request and was told I didn't not have HPV.  When my guy had this wart we had been having sex back then, so why wouldn't I have contracted it? After my first abnormal pap all of my pap smears have been normal till this last one, but we haven't been sexually active so I'm confused, although during this last pap this is when I had him check me for HPV and that is when it came back that I didn't have HPV.   My question is when we get married and start to have sex again is it possible for me to get HPV from him even though I believe I was exposed to it before years ago and also is the wart still contagious since it was taken off 2-2 1/2 years ago and has not came back.  I'm just nervous because I  was told I didn't have it when being tested and I don't want to contract it or get warts when we get married.
Tags: HPV
When a wart has been gone for 6 months or longer, there is a really high probability that the person is no longer contagious.

It is also very likely that you contracted the virus as well. Most people who have the type of HPV that causes warts don't have or notice symptoms.

The HPV test you get isn't conclusive because it tests only cervical cells. This means that you could have a HPV infection elsewhere and have it go undetected. Fortunately, HPV infections that aren't on the cervix rarely ever cause problems. Actually, the type of HPV that causes warts doesn't do much other than look ugly.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.
If your guy has HPV and you two were having unprotected sex then you probably have it but your body could've suppressed/"cleared" it into dormancy already. The HPV test that they do when you get a PAP tests for high risk(non wart causing). Most HPV cases clear themselves in 6 months to 2yrs.

When you guys get married..if yuo already have the virus that he has ( which you probably do already)you two can't reinfect each other again w/ the same strain. If the warts haven't reappeared ..his body/immune system has more than likely suppressed the virus and it isn't transmittable. HPV can be transmitted thru skin to skin contact and doesn't require penetration...fooling around is enough..so condoms help BUT aren't 100% safe when it comes to HPV...you two should be able to resume regualr sex as long as he isn't showing visible warts.
Have an HPV question?
100,000+ doctor answers