Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
HPV still contagious

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

HPV still contagious

I got HPV 2 years ago , it should be out of my system by now, and just recently I saw that I have some warts on my penis.   My quetions is if I have unprotected sex will I transfer the warts to my partner?  
Now that I look at it it has been alomst 3 years.....my warts should be done by now, correct?  If my wife has them we could be passing them back and forth, right?
Hpv is a virus not an infection . You will never get rid of it and unfortunately their is no cure. Yes you and your wife could be passing it back and forth to each other.
If you have warts then you are contagious again. Most people never experience the warts again after having 6 months - 2 years of showing no symptoms at all. However a small percentage take longer to build immunity to the virus. It is also capable of re-activating in a persons system after a long time of laying dormant.

You cannot pass the virus back and fourth. Once you have it, it is in your system for good and you cannot re-activate the virus by having sex with an infected person, as you already have that strain. If your wife also has the virus, she too cannot ping pong the virus back and fourth, as she already has it, it isn't like an infection which once cured can be caught again.

If your wife doesn't already have the warts you are at risk of infecting her. If you treat the warts and use a condom, the chance of giving your wife the warts are significantly lower than if you didn't treat them and didn't wear a condom