HPV
Hi i'm nineteen and super stressed out. While i was pregnant i received a pap smear and was told i had high risk HPV, but that no abnormal cells were found. After pregnancy at my six weeks postpartum appointment , my doctor found abnormal cells and have to have a colposcopy. Should i be worried about the fact that NOW there are abnormal cells and there weren't any before. And what are my chances of developing cervical cancer over the course of my pregnancy?  I think this is depressing me , it's all i think about.
Based on what I have read online, cervical cancer takes a few years to actually develop so you will not be pregant by then. Get those cells removed asap.
The above comment is incorrect. Abnormal Paps are common after pregnancy espcecially at a 6 wk PP visit. You should not have any procedure such as a LEEP or cryo to have the cells removed. You are only 19 and I would wait 6 months to have a repeat Pap before doing the colposcopy. Your Dr. should know that it would be very, very, very rare to find real cancerous cells in a 19 year old. The best approach is to take a "wait and see" approach" and not do anything that will risk future problems with any pregancies. Cervical cancer takes 15-20 years to evolve and if for any reason you had pre cancerous cells in 18-24 months that would be the time to deal with it. Give yourself a chance to recover from your pregnancy and have a repeat Pap in 6 months or get another opinion from another Dr. before you put your health at risk. If you had not been pregnant, the guidlines are that you should not even have a Pap until you are 21--the reason is that cancer is very, very rare in your age group, almost nil.
Thanks so much. Really calmed my nerves. :-) and yes when i was like 2 months pregnant they did a pap and it was NORMAL then at my 6 weeks post partum i was abnormal and i thought maybe because my immune system hasnt had a chance to recover yet. i dont smoke , dont drink, im vegetarian, i exercise all the time. id like to think im pretty healthy. How do i go about getting a second opinion?