Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
HPV

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

HPV

Hi i'm nineteen and super stressed out. While i was pregnant i received a pap smear and was told i had high risk HPV, but that no abnormal cells were found. After pregnancy at my six weeks postpartum appointment , my doctor found abnormal cells and have to have a colposcopy. Should i be worried about the fact that NOW there are abnormal cells and there weren't any before. And what are my chances of developing cervical cancer over the course of my pregnancy?  I think this is depressing me , it's all i think about.
The above comment is incorrect. Abnormal Paps are common after pregnancy espcecially at a 6 wk PP visit. You should not have any procedure such as a LEEP or cryo to have the cells removed. You are only 19 and I would wait 6 months to have a repeat Pap before doing the colposcopy. Your Dr. should know that it would be very, very, very rare to find real cancerous cells in a 19 year old. The best approach is to take a "wait and see" approach" and not do anything that will risk future problems with any pregancies. Cervical cancer takes 15-20 years to evolve and if for any reason you had pre cancerous cells in 18-24 months that would be the time to deal with it. Give yourself a chance to recover from your pregnancy and have a repeat Pap in 6 months or get another opinion from another Dr. before you put your health at risk. If you had not been pregnant, the guidlines are that you should not even have a Pap until you are 21--the reason is that cancer is very, very rare in your age group, almost nil.
Based on what I have read online, cervical cancer takes a few years to actually develop so you will not be pregant by then. Get those cells removed asap.
Thanks so much. Really calmed my nerves. :-) and yes when i was like 2 months pregnant they did a pap and it was NORMAL then at my 6 weeks post partum i was abnormal and i thought maybe because my immune system hasnt had a chance to recover yet. i dont smoke , dont drink, im vegetarian, i exercise all the time. id like to think im pretty healthy. How do i go about getting a second opinion?