Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
HPV

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

HPV

I just found out that I have hpv.  I was married very young and have been faithful to my husband.  He also states that he has been faithful to me.  This means no other partners (ever).  How could I have HPV if this is true?
Patty-
I don't know how this could have happened. How long have you been married? If he is the only man you have been with, then you had to have gotten it from him.
I agree with RGirl33,,,if u've been with no one else in the past few years this had to have come from him.
So there is no other way to contract HPV?  We have been married for 31 years and we got married in our teens.  Guess we need to discuss this further if this is the only possible transmission.  Thanks for your straight forward answers.
I was celibate for 10 years and foolishly b-lieved my x that he did not have sex 4 3 years.did not use condom.I ended up with HPV.the docs std forum states that 40 diff strains of this virus.Generally takes 6-18 mos.for body to clear a particular strain.Once cleared it goes in2 dormancy.One can catch another strain if xposed to it.I was told highly unlikely that my HPV lie dormant for years and suddenly popped up....i agreed!
I am sorry :( I feel very sad for you and hope that you can get things figured out with your husband.
i'm with u Rgirl...hope the truth comes out for all sakes!and things get resolved!
Patty-
I was just on http://www.ashastd.org/learn/learn_hpv_myths.cfm
It gives common myths and one of them is
"3. Myth: In a monogamous relationship, an HPV diagnosis means someone has cheated.

This myth has been responsible for a great deal of anger, confusion, and heartache. It has led many people to tragically wrong conclusions because it fails to take into account one of the most mysterious aspects of genital HPV: its ability to lie latent.

The virus can remain in the body for weeks, years, or even a lifetime, giving no sign of its presence. Or a genital HPV infection may produce warts, lesions, or cervical abnormalities after a latent period of months or even years.

As mentioned above, most people who are infected with genital HPV never know it; their virus does not call attention to itself in any way. In most cases, a person is diagnosed with HPV only because some troubling symptom drove him or her to a health care professional, or some abnormality was revealed in the course of a routine exam.

But although careful examination can identify genital HPV infection, and laboratory tests may even narrow down the identification to a specific type among the two dozen or so that inhabit the genital tract, there is simply no way to find out how long a particular infection has been in place, or to trace it back to a particular partner.

In a monogamous relationship, therefore, just as in an affair or even in an interval of no sexual relationships at all, an HPV diagnosis means only that the person contracted an HPV infection at some point in his or her life.
Thanks for the responses, they really do help.  I'm not sure what to beleive.  My husband has told me that he has only been with me.  I know I have only been with him and how I have HPV.  I'll look the website that you have provided as I don't want to accuse him if this does not mean he has had an affair especially since he's already denied it but I'm very confused.
For a $15 fee u can go under ask a doctor forum in the std forum..Dr.Hook or Dr.Handsfield will answer your question from their research and experience...they have about 30 years in this field!
Please do not construe this as one way or another but it is interesting.Under ask a doctor forum there is a post from a woman who tested positive for a weak strain of chlamydia accompanied by abdominal pain.She states being married to same guy for 16 years and no cheating on either part.Dr.Handsfields response is interesting and in no way is he trying to be committal.Read it and see what u think for if i was in a marriage it would be a tough one for me.I was talking to my co-worker one day about being dx'd with HPV.I was very upset.She has Crohn's and Lupus and  told me she was dx'd with HPV!She was bewildered and pressed her husband of 29 years for an answer who affirmed he'd done nothing.He then shamefully admitted running in2 a former high school girlfriend and had a dalliance.He was apologetic/remorseful not thinking of her medical condition and not knowing anything about HPV.She had to have a LEEP and it was very hard on her......she has forgiven him.The STD forum is loaded with men who cheat on their wives...boyfriends who cheat on their girlfriends...it blows me away.And then they worry about it later!It is a documented fact that men are very weak willed with this and common for 75% of men to cheat....while 25% of women do.It sure isn't in my vocabulary but it is up to the person to decide that if this has happened complete honesty will make their future rels. much better.patty i hope u spend the $15 to post to either Dr.Hook or Dr.Handsfield.Read their bios.....they do know their stuff!have u had a colposcopy yet?
forgot to note the title of womans post under ask a doctor forum is Am I Being Naive?easy to find!
If you have been with no one else, then it has to be from your husband. I mean I can't think of any other option :(
I'm so sorry to hear your situation.  Your Husband had to have given it to you.  I was d'd with HPV, and the only way to get it is from Sexual Intercourse.  Unfortunally when men get tested for HPV it's not found... even though there a carrier.  There's no way to tell they have it, It only shows up in women.  It sucks, but its true, If I were you, I would have a serious talk with your husband about cheating...  If you haven't slept with anyone else, then I'm pretty sure he gave it to you...  Ask your doctor, the doc will tell you the same thing.

Good Luck~
I see where u posted to Dr.Handsfield and read his response.It is interesting for Dr.Hook had told me that the liklihood of an HPV virus lying dormant for 24 years was highly unlikely and that i was most likely xposed to another strain after 10 years of celibacy which i b-lieve i was.I think these doctors give good advice and gently ride the fence for they don't want to be comittal or home wreckers!.But the bottom line is follow ur doctors advice and u must trust ur heart on this one!Best of Luck to u and ur treatment on this!
I read ur statement and Dr.H's reply back to u that its minutely possible HPV isn't transmitted sexually?I totally disagree with him but do it here for he'll delete it under doctor forum and get upset!My family doctor and gyno told me sex is the only way.This virus doesn't live outside the body on objects.
Thanks for the update.  I am a Scientist and the analytical part of me tells me that you are right.  I guess I was hoping to hear another answer.  I've confronted my husband again and he still denies every having another partner.  I honestly don't know what to do.  My doctor has been trying to reach me but has not called when I'm available and visa versa.  I have no idea what to do next.  I know medically but not regarding this situation.
I've never been married thank God in retrospect but I trusted my now x implicitly...i thought i had a good man after 10 years alone.I can imagine the barrage of feelings ur feeling dear!Did ur gyno suggest a colposcopy to determine what type of HPV high or low risk and to determine size of area on cervix affected?Does he already know this info?U said he wanted to see u again in six months?
whoops sorry hit this twice!
The letter I got with the results suggested a follow up test in 6 months but my doctor has been trying to reach me unsuccessfully.  I am very anxious to talk to him.  Hopefully we'll discuss this soon.  The letter also had an option to set up a consultation meeting.  For peace of mind I may do this.  Thanks for providing a place where I can discuss this as there is no other option.
U can email me privately by clicking on2 blue ibizan!I'm so glad i found this forum..i was so angry,ashamed,confused the whole gamut when they told me i had HPV.It was follow-up from a cryosurgery for pre-cancerous cervical cells that had no trace of HPV!Clean paps for 24 years!I know i have a lot of company with women who have HPV...so do u...it stinks..but we r here to support each other...my heart goes out to u.A part of my emotional healing/acceptance of this is to reach out to others and support them with their new found dx.And i love to read on this....the archives on this under the ask a doc froum have taught me so much!I subscribe to the ashastd.org newsletter.The latest research on this is published and women speak out who have this.U r not alone here......never!I hope u set up a consultation with ur doc and discuss other possible immediate options...care plan...to ease ur mind and safeguard ur health!
Thank you for the support and offer to email you.  I may need to do that as this unfolds.
U r in my thoughts and prayers.On 12-17 i go for follow-up pap from my LEEP done 8-07 to see if virus gone or returned.I've read in LEEPS 30% chance a second surgery.I am praying its all gone!Don't want to miss my cardio classes!Sure hope u make consultation with ur doc to discuss a care plan for urself.There are options and it will help u make decisions in this process.Take Care!
Good luck to you on the 17th.  You are also in my thoughts and prayers.
Thank You dear!I'm sure hoping it has not returned.I will know in 10 days..thats how long it usually takes Labcorp to return a pap result!Take Care and stay warm!:)))
Hope your results come back clear!
thank u dear!i hope so 2!10 biz days is 1-2-08 for the call 2 Labcorp.I have to have paps every 4 months for the first year to make sure this damn virus doesn't return!i have been exercising,eating very healthy as usual and hoping to boost my immune system so high that Mr.HPV LEAVES and goes dormant!
Just to let u know - I'm another woman who's bf cheated and only way I knew was when I got HPV - I had never been with anyone else.  He only admitted it when I told him about the warts and my suspicions (I have a seriously low immune system and am prone to infections - he knew this and for me, this was the hardest part to accept , his complete disregard for my health - I looked on the bright side tho and was just grateful it wasn't anything more serious like HIV!). However, devastated doesn't even come close.  It took me a long time to leave him as I just couldnt get over it and didn't want him anywhere near me even tho I still loved him. (the cheating thing wasn't the biggest issue - I couldve dealt with that. He put my health at risk without so much as a second thought - that hurt bad).  Just get urself healthy and deal with all the other relationship stuff when ur in the right frame of mind.  
oh wow girl!do i ever know how u feel!i had split with my x quite awhile b4 this hpv showed.....when i told him he was apologetic then started SHOUTING that he did not give this to me.Men don't know they have it,they don't even know what it is!What i hate more than anything in this world is LYING!X told me no sex for 3 years....and foolishly i b-lieved him cuz i loved him and wanted to place trust in him.It will b so hard to ever trust a man again.And i am grateful i didn't end up with something worse!Devastated oh yes...but a year ago this time i was much worse and am happy to say i am feeling better and so glad that man will never b a part of my life again.Really trying 2 move forward!Thank u for posting!:))
Glad ur moving forward Ibizan!  Men(well some) r rubbish and agree lying is the worst thing.  I tested this guy a few times regarding his lies and learned he just can't tell the truth.  Of course I got blamed for it as he was just trying to protect me! haha  gotta laugh eh!
omigosh he sound like he's related 2 my x!i think back to where i was a year ago and i was not handling things well and 2 day so much damn better....yes there is a lot of male rubbish out there..i have a joke that the good ones r married,taken,gay,dead or on HBO!LOL!I am continuously blown away by the married men and guys in alledgedly exclusive rels. who post in std forum about what they've done with strippers,escorts,.. in a whorehouse overseas and they WORRY about what they could give their wives or girlfriends!DUH..did u not think about this b4hand?or thinking as usual with wrong head:)))JEEZ!their needs to be a forum of folks who celebrate monogomy and post so that someday i may have hope that i can b-lieve and trust a man again which now is nil!
There defo r good ones out there - just need to sift thru all the scum and hope u dont come out too badly!  Sex is so fraught with worry and fear - either worried about pregnancy or fear of STDs.  Its great but damn it can mess u up at times.  Try not to lose total faith in all men cause WHEN a good one comes along u dont wanna make him pay for some scummy guys failings then u might b back to square one.  Its hard when u have been hurt - I split up with said scummy guy and I was another 2.5 years before I met someone else.  I only had literally 1 date in between. It was what I needed - bit of time on my own having fun with my gfs.  Oh forgot to say - he gave me herpes too just as a little leaving present.  Crazy thing is we still keep in touch on friendly terms - too much energy hating someone and I do know he regrets ever cheating cause it meant not being with me and losing the respect I had for him (plus I got the flat which is worth a fortune now!) haha  I deserved it! ;o)
Oh girl i have no desire or energy to sift thru the scum!i flew solo 10 years b4 i met now X..and i was doing fine....meeting him was so unplanned.I guess if i chance across a good one someday i'll know it...right now I view them as a troublesome waste of time with their foolishness.I am so afraid of another lying and bringing me another std.Ohmigosh herpes...genital?man that is hellish/annoying...I don't talk to my X.And i have no wish too....one day he will be a distant memory like others i have had to let go of.....I have a lot in my life 2 b grey8tful for......and i focus on that!flat....cool...u in England?
Has anyone considered maternal-fetal transmission.  Has he spoken to his mother to see if she has HPV?  It is not likely but theoretically possible!
I have never read anything coming close to possible on this in the doctors forum or in my research!I think highly unlikely if non-existently possible!
I agree sometimes best to just do ur own thing - less hassle! I'm kinda over the whole thing now - took a long while but hey ho s'pose its all a learning curve (so I'm told!).   I'm in Glasgow in Scotland.  Live in an old tenement flat - it's great but at this time of year it is absolutely baltic.  High ceilings = frosty feet!  ;o)
Thanks for your feedback.  I am new to research on this topic.  I wish you all the best.
i am always open to learn new info on HPV if u come across research/established stats on this i'd like 2 know!thanx!
Doing own thing is less hassles more peace and no sorting thru the fools!ooh Scotland!nice but cold now..keep warm dear!:)))))oh yes how we love to learn eh?not this way but in life it is inevitable!
Just sent a complaint form on u to Medhelp administrator regarding the drivel u posted to Patty1955.Lets not see it here again!
I was diagnosed as having HPV, (Human Papiloma virus) February of this year, after my routine pap test came back with a minor abnormality. As I had a pap test a few years previous with the same result, my Doctor referred me to a Gino, where I was examined and a biopsy taken for further tests as small warts were found on my cervix. The results came back as HPV positive for high risk types CIN1. I was advised that no further action was required, to give up smoking, and to have a pap smear again in 12 mnths, as this virus can clear itself in this time. I attended the Gino appointment with my Partner of 8 years, and we asked the Gino questions about how it is contracted, we were told that it can be sexually transmitted, however, not necessarily contracted through that means as it can also just be "picked up". I'm assuming from public toilets, maybe even through hand contact with another person or even touching something that an infected person has just touched or held......I know that a very good friend of mine was diagnosed with it years ago. We certainly have used the same toilet a number of times over the years at each others houses!! I have only just in the past year become aware of the virus, and have read quite a bit of info on it since being diagnosed. It is still being learnt about by professionals. The preventative shot for women up to the age of 25?? has only in the past year, been made available here in Australia. Also, men can carry HPV without having any symptoms whatsoever. It is usually spotted when a woman gets her pap smear results. Hope this info clears the air for some of you. :)
HPV cannot be picked up from toilets!The docs in ask a expert forum and other reputable HPV sites clearly state this.There has to be an xchange of boys fluids for the virus to live in ur body...foreplay by hands can transmit it too.
typpo there i meant body fluids not boys fluids!:)
i am a very happy woman!Pap results post LEEP show no evidence of return of high risk HPV cells.go back in 4 months for repeat paps for first year.if clear all times...then can go every 6 mos.then once a year!this is the best gift i could have for the New Year!:)))thank u all for ur good wishes!:))))))