Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
HSV, HPV, or both

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

HSV, HPV, or both

Dear Dr.,
    In the summer of 2005, I had extremely painful urination and burning on my vagina. I was told that it could be Herpes. Of course, I was devastated. I had a blood test and it came back negative, phew. I did not have that many sexual partners, but had been with my boyfriend for about 8 months. We did have unprotected sex. My boyfriend said he was clean (we ended up getting married and I trusted him...we are no longer married due to many lies). I kept getting irritation . I went back to my GYN and she did another blood test. It came back positive for Herpes. I was devastated. However, I was ready to be proactive and went on daily Valtrex. I was still then confused. I went off Valtrex and went through some very stressful times, without any "outbreaks". I still did not have any confirmed answers. I moved a few times and had several doctors tell me that there was nothing conclusive to say I did have Herpes. I went on not really knowing, but knowing I did not have any "outbreaks".
   Recently, my doctor did a blood test that looked at the type of HSV (herpes). It came back positive for Type 2. A the same time, I was given a Pap. It came back abnormal but with low-risk. When she did a follow up Pap (3 months later), it came back high -risk with HPV. I have so many questions. I will be going to a GYN (I was going to general practitioner) Could I really have HPV, not HSV? What percentage of HPV turn into cervical cancer? How many women have HPV that turns into cervical cancer? When could I have contracted this, was it my ex? Since my doctor didnt give me information over the phone, I am totally in a panic. How do I prevent this from other partners contracting this (either HSV, HPV?). Is it preventable for my partners? Is HPV genital warts? What are long term effects? Does HPV cause HSV or vice versa? How long can HPV lay dormant? Does the high risk of the Pap mean higher cancer risk? Will HPV ever go away, even if it is cervical cancer? My doctor said that even though I had a Pap three months ago that was mild risk and now only 3 months later, it is high risk, that this was "rapid cell change", what does this really mean?
I know these are a lot of questions, but I am so confused and worried. Of course, very disappointed again that the possibility of my ex giving me this on top of HSV (herpes), is devastating.
Thanks!
HPV is not usually when going to the restroom.....8 out of 10 women get a strand of HPV by the time they are 30 years old... once diagnosed the body will usually "clear" the virus within 2 years......as long as you take care of yourself, dont smoke, and go to your regular obgyn appts to get the paps then it should never turn into cancer.... you could have gotten this from the first person you ever slept with, so stop worrying about who you got it from and worry about moving forward with your life,... they only way to REALLY protect yiour other partners is to not have sex, but since your active just make sure you use a condom everytime and do no sleep with anyone who your having an outbreak....and be honest with them....HPV has a couple of strands of genital warts and other strands could cause cancer if not treated....HPV can lay dormant for 10+ years.....rapid cell change means your cells are changing fast.... did they mention doing a colposcopy??...that would be a biopsy of your cervix to see if the cells are cancerous.... not all high risk means "cancer" you have to have precancerous cells....

make sure you do what they say......and things will get better.... i have moderate HPV and dysplasia and i just went back for my check up and they said its clearing up....good luck .... im here if you need to talk!
Hi !
Thanks for your insight. Does a colposcopy hurt? Does any other treatment hurt?
Thanks-
First and foremost, I noticed you addressed your questions to a doctor, but this portion of the website does not have doctors answering your questions; we are not trained physicians or anything of the like, you need to know that. However, I believe I can answer your questions based on the research I have done for quite some time now, and the help of prominent doctors, and virologists.

If you tested positive for HPV and HSV, then you have both, one does not lead to the other, the two viruses are separate entities entirely. The cases that turn into cervical cancer are rare, especially if caught early. As long as you remain healthy and not immune compromised, you should be fine, it's not something worth deliberating about. You may come across statistics that claim "hpv causes 90% of cervical cancer", however this is highly misleading. Although hpv is may be found in 90% of cervical cancer cases, BY NO MEANS do 90% of the women who have hpv get cervical cancer.

Do not think too much about who gave it to you, any one of your exes could have. Also, it is spread through skin to skin contact, there is no need to have sex to spread it. Therefore, if only your genitals run up against someone else, it can be spread. As for protecting future partners from hpv and hsv, you can only do this by abstaining from sex. There is no guarantee that a condom will protect from them, especially since it is on your skin, and condoms do not cover all the area required.

Any more questions, feel free to ask.

My Best,
Rainn

In the majority of cases, hpv will clear the system without any troubles. Long term effects can inclue cancer, but as I mentioned, that is a rarity.