Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Had sex with someone with HPV

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Had sex with someone with HPV

This girl I am dating over the last 6 months mentioned to me that she had was diagnosed positive for HPV a week ago. She mentioned that she had that condition a few years ago and its reoccurring right now. We did have sex a last week too ( with condom ). Now there is a possibility that I am infected with HPV too, however I don't have any symptoms or warts of any kind. Would this mean that I am not infected? Or resistant to this HPV strain somehow? Or should I stop sleeping with this girl as I am not in a committed relationship with her? Unfortunately there is no way of verifying this infection unless there are warts as per the doctor. I do like this girl and want to see where this is going however, I feel like I m stuck with HPV if this doesn't workout. Any advice?
yeah, don't have sex with her unless you want to get HPV. You may already have it, you might not.  What if you don't have it can continue to have sex with her and end up with it? Is that worth it?

My advice is to move on... unless you think she's the one your going to marry.  You may not ever have any symptoms or you might get some in about 6 months.  Even if you use a condom, you're still taking a risk and still susceptible.  If you do get it, go get treatment right away.
You said "Unfortunately there is no way of verifying this infection unless there are warts" - I'm pretty sure you have a blood test to see if you have the virus and don't have to have visible symptoms.
There are no reliable HPV tests for men in the USA except when a wart is biopsied.

question: does white distilled vinegar help identify warts?
.

Just because you are not experiencing any symptoms does not necessarily mean you dont't have it. Many men carry a form of PV and are not aware. Because they do not have a cervix. If you continue to sleep with this girl be sure to use protection.
The vinegar test is unreliable. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. And its not white distilled vinegar, its apple cider vinegar. Would not recommend it since it is unreliable.