Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
High Risk HPV

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

High Risk HPV

I had my first pap smear done last year in March at the age of 21.  My results came out normal, but I tested positive fort high risk hpv.  A year has gone by and I just had another pap smear done this year of this month and my results came out normal again. This time I was not tested for HPV.  I have nothing that looks unusual down there and I do no have any signs of warts.  From my research and understanding HPV is known to go away in most people and it is a very common virus.  Is this a good sign that my body is fighting it off or a chance that I may not have it anymore? Also I have another question.  Does High Risk HPV affect men severely? Or is High Risk HPV harmless for men that are healthy? I am worried about my sex partner! Please let me know!! Thank you!
i had HPV and they had to freeze my cervix and it went away. and for your partners sake nothing will happen to him alls he can do is spread it, and that is if you guys had sex and he didnt wash himself than he can spread it. but it will not harm him.
If you have high risk HPV then that isn't the type that causes genital warts. Its low risk which causes genital warts, maybe that explains why you don't have any symptoms. It is possible to have more than one type of HPV in your system also. Aslong as you go for regular tests and keep your immune system up you should be okay, as the immune system usually clears of the virus in 6-24 months.

High risk HPV can cause genital cancers in men (as it dose in women) after many years, though this is very very rare. HPV in men can clear from the body more easily than in women, especially for healthy men. The HPV types associated with cervical cancer (high risk) usually do not cause health problems for a heterosexual man having sex with a HPV-infected woman.
From what I understand, only the low risk HPV will clear out of one's body within 6 to 24 months. I also have high risk HPV and my Dr told me that I will always have the virus but it may not always show up on paps if it's lying dormant.

Yeah thats how low risk works too I think. The body clears the virus by cageing it and then it lays dormant like I cold
Oopsy, I meant 'a cold' not 'i cold'

:)
THANK YOU LADIES!
I did more research and I asked some questions and I understand that both low and high risk hpv can clear from the body or lay dormant.  I was told I had it last year and my pap was normal and I had another pap this past month and it also came out normal.  I'm just hoping that I do not have it anymore because I don't want to worry about it. I know that it is considered normal to have and the majority of the info I read say that you shouldn't even be worried about if you have it or not because it usually goes away.  It just doesn't affect men the way it affects women.  I just don't understand why the doctor from last year tested me for it when it was my FIRST pap smear ever.  She's ridiculous...