Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
How long after HPV is cleared from your body are you no longer able to ...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

How long after HPV is cleared from your body are you no longer able to spread it?

Back in October 2009 when I did a Pap, I was told I had atypical cells and she told me this was very common and nothing to worry about, but that I should do a repeat Pap in six months. So I did, in March, and my cells were now of the LSIL variety, most likely caused by HPV.

I'm told that in most cases, HPV clears on its own. This is comforting to hear, and I'm fairly sure I don't have the genital warts strand of HPV since, in April when I got my results, she told me that there was no sign of warts. However I am wondering, what kind of treatments are out there for HPV? Also, will I spread it to every future partner (assuming I have future partners if my current partner and I break up) regardless of whether it's cleared? Because HPV is a lifelong virus, does that mean I will always be contagious?
Seeing as you have a high risk strain detected in a pap, then you do not have a wart causing strain. Wart causing strains are low risk (have no risk to turning into cancer) and they are not detected by pap smears.

Usually Drs like to monitor progress by repeating paps when the cell change is very mild because like you stated, in a lot of cases the HPV clears itself on it's own therefore treatment is not needed. If the HPV gets worse you could have the following procedures depending on your individual case - Cryotherapy. This involves freezing the abnormal cells with liquid nitrogen. A cone biopsy, which removes the abnormal area. Or a LEEP in which the cells are removed by an painless electric current. (Treatment for warts is different).

If your HPV is cleared and you are getting good paps which do not indicate abnormal cells or a HPV infection this means the virus is laying dormant in your system. When this happens, you are no longer contagious. However, the virus can become active again in times of ill health or stress. Or even for no reason at all. Though usually, once it's cleared you'll experience little to no problem with the HPV virus again.