Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
How long can the HPV be dormant?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

How long can the HPV be dormant?

I have been in a three year relationship.   I just developed genital warts. I have not been with anyone else since. ? My boyfriend says he thinks he had "something like that" in his 20's, he's 60 now.  Could the virus lay dormant that long?Also, could it actually take that long for me to get it from him Can he be telling the truth that he hasn't contacted it more recently?? Please help!!!
Hi and welcome, have you seen a doctor about what those warts are?
Yes the virus can lay dormant for decades. 40 years is a big stretch and unlikely, IMO.  Just because he has no visible warts does not mean they weren't always there. Were you a virgin when you met him?  If not, then how do you know that you didn't get infected from a previous lover? At this point playing detective doesn't get you anywhere. Get rid of the warts and avoid sex until they are gone. And then have safe sex for at least 3-6 months as unsafe sex can cause a relapse. And then assume this is something that the two of you can share together for the rest of your lives. The alternative (splitting up) would mean both of you will need to find someone else that has the same strain and that's not easy.
Thanks for responding to my question.  Since I have last written, my warts have multiplied.  I am using the medicine prescribed by my dr.  It's been  very uncomfortable for the past week, but I have to keep using it until they go away.  As much as this has been uncomfortable physically, this has been so much worse emotionally! Not knowing  Who contracted this, when and with who.... Thanks again
have they biopsied one of these to confirm warts? might be worthwhile.