Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Internal anal warts

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Internal anal warts

Hello
I was diagnosed in July 2012 with anal warts, both external and internal. I had surgery in August and they started to return before the wounds were completely healed. I tried Aldara for 8 weeks and the warts kept growing larger. I then recieved TCA treatments and after 3 weeks the external warts are gone. My question is what would you recomend I do abaut the internal warts? I don't want to get surgery again because it was expensive and in effective.I would rather go with watchful waiting. Is this a bad idea?
Thank you.
You need to get the internal anal warts also removed. If they are not removed, the warts usually grow larger and multiply. Left untreated, the warts may lead to an increased risk of cancer in the affected area. Internal anal warts may not be as suitable for treatment by topical medications, and may need to be treated surgically.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.