Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Is My life is over?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Is My life is over?

Hi all.. I am 24 years old male..

I had unprotected oral sex about a month a go... after about a week I have started to notice 3 bumps.. my doc things that they are genital warts...
1) how can you be so sure if it is infect warts???
2) can you get genital warts thru oral sex?
3) if I have warts and dont have sex for about 2 years and all my warts are gone and wont show up again.. it is possible that I can start a family?? means that have a wife who is not infected and not pass her the virus?? mean dont give her genital warts or anything that could lead her into getting any sort of cancer??
4) Can I still have kids without cause any problems to my wife and the new child?? such as genital warts or cancer?
I understand what u are going through. I have never had a std that I know of before, then recently came down with sinus infection/flu then these warts on my penis sprouted up. Im not sure there is a definate diagnosis method to make sure they are genital warts other than visual inspection. Some say have your doctor do a biopsy and test for dna/rna for wart virus's but many sites say its not recommended for some reason. I have read to do a vinagar test on the warts for ten minutes. soak a cotton ball in vinagar 5% acicdty and tape it to it for ten minutes. If it turns white it could be a wart or it could not be , I dunno kinda confusing I know. They really need to make a fda approved test for this sort of stuff.
One week seems kind of soon but this could be from a previous exposure.

1) The only way to know for sure is to see a doctor. Vinegar tests are useless.

2) Yes, but it isn't common.

3) HPV typically clears in a few months and up to 2 years. About ten percent of people infected will have the virus for longer, but the majority of these infections are the type that do not cause warts.

Of course you can have a family. Just like the 75-90% of the population who contracts HPV.

Once you clear the virus you won't pass it to your wife. If she has had sex before, she probably has had HPV as well.

The types of HPV that cause warts are considered low risk for cancer.

4) Of course you can.

HPV is normal part of being sexually active. Nearly every sexually active person will get at least one infection in their lifetime. These infections, particularly the wart causing kinds are hardly ever serious and don't often persist for a long time.
Thanks Alex,, ur a big help.. I got like thousands things in my mind... I hope I can talk to u if I have any questions in the future.. would that be alright??
No problem.
Hey Alex is there a way to find out what kind of HPV I have ??
It may be available, but usually isn't done.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/HPV-6-and-11/show/248003
This post is a few years old, but at that time there was no commercially available test to type warts. There may be something now, or a doctor could use other methods, but it is likely unnecessary and expensive. There is a 90% chance that your warts are caused by either HPV 6 or 11.
If you have a small barely visible wart in the groin area and it doesn't make much contact how likely is it that it will spread? Also, if you just have hpv infection and u give that to someone does it mean the other person will develop the std if it is 6 or 11 type?  What does it mean when it says that the virus clears in 2 years normally? So someone can have warts and then get rid of them and the virus in 2 years?