Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Just found out I have HPV...where do I go from here?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

So I found out I have HPV today...Im an adult in my young 30s and dont know when I contacted this. Ive been w/ my current boyfriend/fiance for 3 1/2 years and have no idea if it was him or another partner from my past (guess theres no way in really finding out). Since I literally just found out a few hours ago that I have it, I havent told my fiance yet. I know its extremely common for women to have it and theres so many different types, but I still feel like if I break the news then he'll think Im "dirty". My gyno said I tested positive for it but that theres nothing to do except get tested every 6 months to see if its caused more problems or not. She also said it doesnt really cause problems in men if they have it.

The thing is, should I share the news with my fiance and risk freaking him out, or should I just get tested every 6 mos and only tell him if my symptoms worsen? I know that sounds bad but Im REALLY nervous to tell him for some reason (Ive never had any STD's and dont even know if this is serious).

So what should I do? Also, if anyone has any info they can share with me on HPV I'd appreciate it...I dont really know much about it except for a few things Ive read online. Thanks.
The chances are that if you have it, he already does as well... You are right in saying you will never know how you got it, and at this point it really does not matter. If you are engaged to this guy he will not think you are dirty. It is something he has probably shared with you for the past 3.5 years, and it's safe to say that if he has not developed any symptoms by now, he never will. Therefore, there is no real reason for him to worry. Worst case scenario is that he develops a tiny skin growth on his penis that can be frozen off in seconds... he'll get over it. Being however that you been together for 3.5 years, his body seems to have built immunity to the virus and will not be problematic.

I must say though, that is is rare for this virus to linger around for 3.5 years then all of a sudden show itself. Did you develop warts? Did you just get tested and happened to have hpv? I'd like to give you more information but I do not know enough about your current situation. Please feel free to open up a little more. If you are uncomfortable on the forum, you can message me directly.

My Best,
Rainn
Hi I came down with HPV in 1995 after being with my husband for 8 years I never had a bad pap smear until this one in 1995, they tested me every six months and I had to have surgery because went from bad to worse. and because I have never had a abnormal pap smear and I've had my gyn Dr. visits every year since I was 18. My Dr. told me that I got this in late 1994 or early 1995, So a few years later I found out that my husband had been cheating on me I had no Idea my Dr. was right. He said that sometimes your body will fight it of within 6 months to 2 years after being exposed to it. But that is why we really need to go every year for our gyn check-up because pap smears are very sensitive will pick up anything abnormal even yeast. I pray you get to will get the truth. See I no I never cheated and it didn't come from a toilet seat. So I never second guessed my Doctor who by the way I went to for 25 years until he just retired a year ago.
Good Luck
God Bless You