Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
LEEP test

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

LEEP test

I am 32 and have just had my first abnormal PAP.  I also tested positive with HPV last year and again with this PAP.  Due to the results, they want me to get a LEEP pocedure done and they have given me the option to have the procedure done in the office or in the OR under anethesia.  I am having a hard time deciding whether or not the procedure is uncomfortable enough to have it done in the OR or if it is "easy" enough for the Dr. office.  
Also, I am supposed to start a new job and I am wondering if this procedure will allow me to work the following day as I hate to ask for time off during training.  Does anyone have any experience as to recovery time or suggestions as to with or w/o anethesia?
What was your Pap result and what HPV test did you have done?
The LEEP is not a test, it is an actual surgical procedure. I’m not sure why they are doing a LEEP instead of colposcopy. You can have the LEEP procedure done in either the office or the OR. Colposcopy is easier and recovery time is also easier (a little cramping and often some mild discharge for a few days for colpo and a little more and longer for LEEP). Personally, I would prefer to have a LEEP in the OR but you don’t have to and it does increase the cost. I would only go to the OR based on colposcopy results. If your Pap was ASCUS this approach seems extreme and if your Pap was the highest level of abnormal, HSIL this approach is a little more acceptable but still appears a little extreme because CIN does reverse. I’m hoping your Dr. did tell you that both the Pap and the HPV test are screening tests and can have false positives and the colposcopy is really the “gold standard” to find out if there are any abnormal cells. For me, I would think it would be better to check for abnormal cells and the level of abnormal cells with a colposcopy/biopsy first. Then you get an actual pathology report before an invasive procedure and can decide on options or maybe the LEEP is not needed at all. The see and treat approach may benefit the physician more than the patient. It would also seem unusual to go from a normal pap to a really high level of abnormal in one year unless the last normal pap was not read properly. This also seems a little extreme if this is your first abnormal pap.