Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
LSIL

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

LSIL

Yes I just recently had my second abortion in May 2009 and had my annual pap done in June 2009. My doctor came back with results it being abnormal. She said she found LSIL. I have been with the same partner since all my STD testing. I was tested for all STD's. The results came back negative. Now my pap is saying LSIL was found. I was wondering if that had anything to do with the abortion and if my results to my STD tests came back negative and we both ONLY have been with each other then does that mean I have HPV? Is there a reason for concern? Does this usually happen to women whom have had an abortion or is there nothing to worry about? Thanks.

Worried and need answers.
LSIL is almost always caused by HPV. I don't know if your abortion would have an effect on the PAP result.

STD tests do not test for HPV. It is likely that either you or your boyfriend had HPV before entering the relationship.
LSIL is an indication that cervical dysplasia may exist - but dysplasia is not diagnosed until a colposcopy and biopsy have been performed. Sometimes and infection or inflammation can cause an abnormal pap result - so it is possible that the abortion may have caused your LSIL. However, if you have a colposcopy and are diagnosed with dysplasia (CIN1 usually coincides with LSIL and is a mild dysplasia) then yes this is caused by HPV. It is also important to know that pregnancy creates an environment for HPV to become active (from a dormant state) and for dysplasia to develop, often this will regress once you are no longer pregnant.