Living with Genital Warts
Arf
I apologise for raising a topic which I'm sure has many times been discussed in the past. I've searched the forums quite extensively and read up pretty much everything I can, but I'm still interested in some more views.

As of September last year, I believe I have genital warts. I basically have 1 wart which is recurring. I've been to the GUM clinic a number of times. The first time they gave me the blue Warticon solution which I dabbed on 3 nights a week. After a number of weeks, the wart disappeared. I was a happy man.

A month or two later it was back with a vengenance. It was not particularly big, but it was visible to me, especially when my penis was of different sizes. I went to GUM, they couldn't see it and gave me the all clear - telling me I was free to have unprotective sex if I wanted (but safe sex was still advised). On return home, I could still find the wart. I used Warticon on it again. It vanished. Then it came back.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I went back to GUM and told them the story. I also told them I thought that blue Warticon ink was pretty terrible to use. No problem they say - we'll freeze it off. They do, I leave and am content finally the damn thing has gone. The area that was froze swelled, went pink then gradually skin began to reform over it. However, maybe a month and a bit from that day - that area of my penis is still very pink and noticeable. I have since identified what a consider to be another wart - however it's hardly noticeable and I'm pondering whether to get it looked at or just ignore it. The chances are they wouldn't be able to see it anyway or treatment would irritate it and make it worse than it is.

There's my backstory which I guess people might find useful to know of, my questions are as follows:

Is my penis likely to be permanently scarred from the freezing treatment? If not, how long should it be before I can no longer notice where the affected area?

Does anyone feel it is worth Warticoning / going to get the smaller one frozen also?

Finally - I don't know how to go about my sex life anymore. I think KNOWING you have the virus is actually worse than any warts. I've been single for a while now - most of the women I meet are on night's out. Pulling the old "oh by the way I have genital warts" card out as things get serious scares the hell out of me. I don't feel I can do it. How do you others get by? I find it bizarre that my doctors go by the consensus that if the warts are gone you're safe whereas I've read people on here have been told their partners have had warts up to 4 years on from the break out. I really could do with some advice on how to not be afraid of sex anymore...
will hpv cause warts to form all over your body? like little pimples that wont go away. i have them on my penis my wristas ans in the insides of my ankles and 3 on my side. what is this?
Arf...

I am a 21 year old female who has just been diagnosed with genital warts. I have had 8 sexual partners and ONLY ever had sex using condoms and none have ever broken, but I seem to have contracted the disease. I started with about 6 tiny little warts, but only one week later, today, they have multiplied, spread and the existing ones grown. My GP diagnosed me last week and I have an appointment tomorrow with a sexual health clinic physician to seek treatment. Its a cruel disease, I dont know who gave it to me and probably never will.

I am also in the same position as you in regard to my sex life. I'm so unsure what this means for me!
-Do you meet someone you really connect with then pull out the "oh by the way I have genital warts" card and watch them run a million miles?
-Or do you get to know the person but refrain from sex for ages, untill they finally crack and want to know why you won't sleep with them, so you tell them, then they either also run a million miles, or get angry for leading them on without telling them?
-Or do you sleep with them and take the risk of passing it on, creating another new case, putting them through what you've been through and living with the responsibility of it on your conscience?

I want to be a mum one day, with the right man, but how is that ever going to be possible?

I've always been scared of contracting any STD's hense the reason I've only ever used condoms, but I too am now scared of sex. I'm 21 with my whole life ahead of me. This shouldnt be happening!

Any advice from anyone would be most appreciated!
Arf
You think in exactly the same ways that I do.

Unfortunately, I cannot claim to have never had unprotected sex. I have. I perhaps shouldn't have but it is done and there is nothing I can do about it. However - even if I had used protection at times where I didn't, it is still probable that I would have caught the disease.

I am also 21 years old. This is meant to be our sexual prime. However, increasingly I am steering clear of opportunities to have sex with women because of the condition. I'm sure you're the same. As you said, it's very cruel. The annoying thing is the conflict of advice I've been given about it. I mean as I stated in my previous post I've been to the GUM clinic a number of times and they just seem to go by the ethos that if you can't see anything then you're fine to have sex. Get on to the internet and it's a completely different story.

I personally don't feel like I can tell someone I've just met / am dating about all this. I believe it will scare people off. However I guess when people don't tell others, that's when it gets passed on. I suppose the interesting thing about it all is the supposed percentage of people who have HPV. I mean - we're not 2 out of 100. If statistics to be believed it could be as much as 2 out of 5 or certainly 2 out of 10. Only a few of us actually develop the physical symptoms though. I don't know if this means that whoever we sleep with are likely to receive the same symptoms?

If you need someone to talk to online then feel free to say so and I'll try and figure out a way to get you my MSN addy.
I found out I had genital warts a year ago and I finally can say I free of them, but you never know they might always comeback.  Now, every time I get a red spot on my genital area, I thinks its a wart.  You become paranoid.  

Dating is an issue as well.  I have been wanting to ask this girl out for months now, I just don't have the guts to do it.  When do you tell them about the possible HPV infection, before or after few dates.  I have know this person for a year now, but what do you do.  

I honestly believe this will make it harder to date, you will get rejected more then before.  Eventually, some one won't run.  

Please post comments!
I am a 24 year old female who just found out that she had genital warts.  I went to the doctor who didn't give me much information about this.  Does this mean that I will have it for life? What treatments are there or this? I have been crying and so depressed for days.  Im starting to feel like dating or relationships with never happen again.  I mean how do you tell someone this and not expect them to go running far far away.  I have only had sex with 4 people in my life and 1 in the last 2 years.  Its so hard and difficult to handle this.  Any information on this would be helpful
Hi.  I am a female who was recently diagnosed with genital warts.  I just had to go to a 2nd treatment due to their return.  I feel the same horrible feelings and fear the rejection.  In fact, it has already happened.  I have a man friend that unfortunately due to a long distance have not been totally committed for several years, but we always knew one day we'd end up in the same city even if one of us had to quit our jobs.  Well, after telling him this situation he says he'll be "there for me" but now it looks as though there is no future.  On top of this I've been extremely depressed/crying for weeks now over this whole situation.  It was made especially worse since I know who I got it from due to lack of partners and the fact that it appeared in a place where this jerk who I had once called my friend for about 10 years, had forced himself without my permission and without the condom.  Granted I pushed him off after his first attempt, but that's all it took.  I received an unwarranted advance and a terrible disease that has destroyed my self-esteem and eroded my happiness.  This whole situation is awful and if anyone knows where to seek some advice/counseling it would be greatly appreciated.  I just don't see myself ever being married one day or ever having children for fear of them appearing and passing it on.  I've read really scaries stories on the danger to newborns.  
Hello all! I was doing some research and came across this forum. I too had the unfortunate experience of contracting HPV. I found out about 8 years ago while in a committed relationship during college. I will never truly know if he gave it to me, but common sense says "yes".  When I first found out I was devastated! After the relationship ended, I was single for about 6 mo's. When I became involved with a new guy, I was faced with the dreadful challenge of telling him before we took things to the next physical level. I won't lie - IT WAS HARD! We sat there and I told him as I became somewhat emotional. He listened and responded by telling me that he respected me even more. We had been together a month at that point and we continued a relationship for 6 1/2 years! We even produced a beautiful daughter :)  We were careful at first, but of course we are human and that got tossed out the window. This past January we decided to go our own ways and now I am at square one all over again. Although I had a positive experience w/my past relationship, I am not looking forward to 'disclosing' again - or dealing with the "what are they going to think" dilemma. I have been talking to a new guy for the past month. We met over the computer and are meeting in person this week. Naturally, our conversations tend to lead to sex and are filled with flirtation and anticipation. So - here comes the big moment! I could just ignore it and if the mood is right, go forth and indulge. However, the harsh reality is that I have HPV and I don't want to be "that one" who kept it a secret. A long time ago, shortly after I found out, I realized that this virus - although a huge hinderance - could also be a blessing in disguise. It woke me up and made me pay more attention to my sexual health, but it also put something else into perspective - it would be a true test as to who would be with me FOR ME (as a person)...who truly cared and liked/loved me, flaws and all.

It's not an easy thing to deal with, but it's life. Most of my friends have all dealt with an STD at some point in their lives, but some of us are lucky enough to catch the one that won't go away! Life happens - and sometimes it hands you lemons. Control it and don't let it control you! You can still live a happy life...have children...love and be loved! And remember...it could always be worse.

Keep on keepin' on!

I guess we just got to go out there and not be worry warts.  I mean what is it 2 or 3 out of 5 people have this ****.  I'v had sex with many many women and none have ever formed any warts and all the girls I have ever dated for a long time have had negative paps.  After noticeing several tiny bumps I went ot the doc and found out i had em.  I must have had them for some time, seems like they've always been there but noone ever noticed!  I guess once the doc gives me the thumbs up, ill be back to well you know...
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AND I HAD TO GO THE THE DERMOTOLIST SEVERAL TIMES AND I HAD ABOUT TWENTY SMALL WARTS APPEAR OVER THE COURSE OF ONE YEAR, I CAN TELL YOU I USED ALDARA WITH LITTLE EFFECT, SO I HAD THM FREEZE THEM OFF, THE RED AND PINK SPOTS THAT THE TREATMENT LEAVE BEHIND TAKE ABOUT 6 MONTHS TO GO AWAY, IT SUCKS I KNOW, BUT ITS JUST LIKE BEING FROST BITTEN IF THAT MAKES SENSE, BUT I WILL TELL YOU WHEN THEY FREEZE THEM OFF IT WORKS MUCH BETTER THAN THE SOLUTIONS, GOOD LUCK TO YOU...
Wow its refreshing to be able to chat with other people in the same boat as me.  Sometimes this condition makes me feel so alone, especially with the social stigma attached to it.  Nobody wants to admit that they have the dreaded things.
I've been living with them for about a year now and I feel like i've reached rock bottom.  Sometimes they don't bother me and other times I turn into a depressed wreck.  I only got a couple at first but slowly they begun to get out of control.  I know who gave me them and I have often felt resentful, but I know now that not everyone who carries the virus develops the warts, and he may have had no idea atall (he is a friend and I would have hoped he'd have told me if he knew!) so now I don't get angry about it.
I have tried various treatments such as Warticon and the Cryo (freezing) but each without much success.  I've got to admit I didn't use the treatments thoroughly enough at first, which is maybe why im still suffering?  I'm now in the middle of a treatment called Aldara, which is meant to stimulate the bodies immune system into fighting the virus.  Warticon is the least powerful, which is why I think they give it to new cases.  This may be why people have not experienced much success with it.  Keep badgering your doctor like I did and they might give you something stronger.  I'd love to try the laser treatment or surgery, but I know those methods are only for extreme cases (or the rich kids!)
I actually work in an STI clinic on reception (ironically!), and I can tell you now warts are the least problematic queries I have to deal with.  It is a very tame STI with little to no health complications, compared to a lot of the other infections.  Therefore, consider yourselves lucky indeed.  You wouldn't believe how many people I talk to with them aswell, which is comforting.  3 of my friends I confided in also had dealt with the same burden, so they're unbelievably common.
As for sexual relations, I have been with my boyfriend for a year and a half, and he adores me, warts and all.  He was with me with me when I developed them, and Im lucky that he sees me for the person I am inside.  As for future sexual partners, I am scared of what they may think.  I could just dive in there and hope they don't develop the signs, but I am far too caring and don't think I could do that to someone.  I know from my current boyfriend that if somebody loves you deeply enough, they really will not care.  And if they do, they're not worth bothering with anyway.  A tip though, maybe wait till they've got to know you thoroughly before you let it slip (then they'll be so head over heels they wont care!)
I have read extensively about the condition.  The most important advice I can give you is to keep your immune system healthy.  Aswell as the topical medications and the freezing, make some changes in your lifestyle to help your body stay on top of the virus.  You will never eradicate it, but the warts will disappear if your body has enough control over it.  Good nutrition is essential, if you can't bear to cut out the **** in your diet like me, take vitamins.  Vit C is the best for strengthening your immune system, aswell as A, E and zinc. (go to http://www.moondragon.org/health/disorders/warts.html for the best details on this)  Make sure you're exercising regularly and proportionately chilling out.  Stress is one of the worst compromises to your immunity, so if youre gettin angry all the time consider what its doin for your warts! Me and my boyfriend row a lot, and he has a lot of issues that get on top of me.  That is why I'm considering leaving this relationship, for the state of my health.  I have only just begun making my lifestyle changes, so I will report back with any news soon.
If you're worried they won't go away (like me) just keep in mind some interesting statistics that a fifth of people that develop warts clear them in six months, and two thirds in two years.  They are quite likely to recur, but if you keep your life happy and healthy, your body is more likely to keep them at bay.
I am in the middle of working on some mental exercises to help clear them.  Positive thinking has been known to shrink tumours and cure cancers, so surely a little old wart shouldnt pose too much of a threat? I think this needs regular practise though, something I haven't had the time to put into.  If you want to make a go at this I recommend using your imagination to 'battle' the warts. (I imagine loads of little replicas of myself that represent my immune system, each with different weapons attacking the wart virus which I have personified as a monster! and killing them obviously!) I have no idea if this doing any good but if studies on placebos are correct than this could be definitely worth investigating.
Hope this has been useful for you guys out there.  Stay strong!
I was supposed to go out tonight, one of my mates sisters was hooking me up with one of her freinds.
I've met her once and  find her attractive and was really looking foward to tonight, getting to know her some more. Yet, at the same time, i was worried like hell, because I've had genital warts for some time and have kept it secret from all my family and freinds.
The warts, one day, i noticed a very small lump, it wasworrying, but i didnt think to much of it, because i handt been that sexually active. Eventually, it turned to three lumps and one was large. It didnt seem to change for ages, now, there are many, the ones that are there are mostly small and dont seem to be increasing in size, but they do seem to be spreading slowly.
I've pretty much been living in denial and been too affraid to face the reality of it all, i guess i've been somewhat living a lie an pretending that the problem is there.
I've avoided going out alot, and avoiding making any attempts at meeting girls and trying to get sex, even purposely blowing chances that occured or making something up.
I know that i really dont want to pass on the infetion to anybody, so i've avoided making attempts at a sex life.
I did try one form of treatment, i forget the product, i got it over the internet, there were lots of posative testimonials, which seemed very promising and had me hopefull. However, i used the product, as instructed(some days i was a little slack) , and got no results what so ever.
I kind of gave up after that.
Its just so dam hard, i ended up decideing to not go out tonight, which is very depressing and now i feel like the time has come to tell my family and freinds but that terrifies me. I fear loosing my freinds and just dont think i'd feel confortable around anymore anymore once they knew, and imagine that they wouldnt want to be around me, out of fear of catching somehow, even though its sexually transmitted..
It is so depressing because, i was shy around girls in highschool and never made the most out of being popular with them, and i only really had a small percentage of life where i was really confudant with the oppisote sex and felt that i was doing well.
I've never experianced a long term/serious relation ship, and never been one to have a regular sex life, i've really just had the odd hook up or one night stand here an there or short relationship. some of which, it was only oral sex or less.
I dont know how i got it, or how long i've had it.
I went through a bad drinking stage and wonder if a night out whilst sh*t faced an waking up not knowing where i was the nexy day(lol sounds like iam a female saying that), if it coulda happned on a night like that?
I was always one to enjoy the mixture of being quite social, yet always liked my video games and stuff, now, because of the warts, and for a few years now, i spend so much time on the internet or talking to girls on-line more than real life, or playing video games an drinking(not as much as i did for a while there), i feel happy at times, becasue i have lots of hobbies and things that i enjoy, yet, feeling that i cant have a sex, like, its not a matter of not getting out or failure, it just dosent seem like a option, an having good freinds and family has helped keep me happy, but the fear of loosing all that.
Life just seems good yet really bad at the same time, and whilst i like time to myself and enjoy hobbies, i feel my social life is suffering and that will only be the case more so as time go's on.
I was never a nerd in school, i like anime an rpgs/video games an stuff, but now, i act like a nerd alot an with the amount of time i spend being anti social, but its like like i dont want to be around girls or cant get them, its that i have been to affaid to face this harsh relaity.
Seems cruel that someone how never had a huge sex life or real relation ship could catch something like this.
I hear some of you talk of a partner how loves you enough to still be with you, i just cant see myslef ever being so lucky.
I've pretty much ressorted to just drinking, playing video games and looking at hentai.
I have a good job, good money, good car, good freinds, but this just out weights all of that and turns me more towards solitude, i feel happy, in my own little world, yet wake up depressed an fear being lonely.
i do get some confort reading words from people that are going through the same thing as me. I wouldnt wish it upon anyone.
But yeah, things could indeed be worse.
Hi there -

First,. you need to see a doc to see if what you have is even genital warts.  It might not be.  If it is, they can treat them for you, and make them go away.  You might still be infectious for awhile after, but once you've gone about 2 years with no outbreaks, you aren't infectious anymore.

You might have some normal skin things going on.  You need to find out what these are.  You have shut your life down and you don't even know if you have it.

If you don't want to see your regular doc for this, then try a Planned Parenthood, if you are in the US, or an std clinic.

There's no reason to live like this.

AJ
Yeah, i must admit, i was unsure at first, and stupidly didnt get it checked out and kind of just pretended nothing was wrong.
I dont know why i havent been to a doctor. I guess i have heaverly researched the topic on the internet, and self diagnosed myself..
From what i read at the many many websites, there was treatment, but no cure, and always the possibility of symptoms returning and the virus never go's away. Its confusing, to read that if the symptoms clear up your not contagious, but then you read that your just less likely to pass it on, as with wearing a condom.
Anyway, it sure dosent look like the pics you see on the internet, but i think its clear.
Thanks for the advice, i actaully spoke to my mother about it last night, wich was hard to do, and she said the same things as you.
I will go get checked out. I guess i've become an example of a person that dosent go get checked out straight away, letting the condition get worse an effect my life when by the sounds of it isnt quite as bad as it all seemed.
i have a question....I don't know if i have genital warts,  I don't have any thing on my penis, but i have what looks to be skin tags on the base, and then red bumps that look like ingrown hairs that you get after done shaving down there.  does anyone know what this could be? any help would be awesome....thanks alot
It could be follicultitis, warts - any number of things.  You should just get it checked.

AJ
how can i get it treated?  and will it go away
It depends on what it is.  Just go to the doc.  Getting diagnosed won't change that you have something, but you can take steps to get rid of whatever it is.

Aj
well i'm deployed right now, so it's kinda hard to get to the doctor because of my work schedule, is there anything else i could do.
I can't tell you what to do because you don't know what it is.  Isn't there a base doctor or something you can see?

Aj
my exgrilfriend had been checked to have the genital warts about a month ago and then she suicided herself in the next morning.
we have just broken up for 3 month and I still love her very much, but I did not expect that she did such thing.
I check to the doc and I was clean then. maybe it is the thought that she got the cruel virus and will never be with me again while she love me too that made her terminate.
She fall down form the top of a fifteen floor building and the only whole part of her body was her face.
I have cried for a couple of weeks and I was desperate. now i'm partially back from the feeling.

what i want to say is to be brave, and it's hard and sad to go on, even feel like in hell, but just hang on, just be alive.
Oh I am so sorry she did that, especially after getting diagnosed with something so common.

I wish you the best.

AJ
about two months ago, i felt a few rough bumps near the vaginal opening on my left side. I FREAKED. A few after that, i got them looked at and i was told it was normal. But...a week before the visit, i noticed a line of pimple like bumps on the right side. Between the labia majora (I believe is the term) and the fleshier lip. I don't think the nurse at the STD clinic looked at them properly. She said it was normal, but, again, I don't think she looked at them. They're in a pretty straight line, some with a white head and then at the base are three slightly bigger and flatter and whiter marks. I now think I have genital warts. I tried self-diagnosing and for a long time deluded myself into thinking that it was molluscum (as I have on my forehead and back) or some sort of cysts. But, now, after obsessively looking at them, I have lost hope that they're anything else. I know they're more of a superficial virus and all but, i'm in the worst depression over it. I have good days and bad days and I'm wondering what i'm going to do with my love life. I am 20 years and I've only had sex ONCE. I was this guys second partner. Unfortunately,his first, is promiscuous who slept around....a lot. I'm so upset at the situation.
Hi there -

If you think you didn't get checked properly, go back.  You have to be your own health advocate.

That said, there are things called fordyce spots (or sebaceous glands).  Google those and see what you think.

Aj
Like most I noticed a few bumps on my penis.  I basically self diagnosed it as genital warts from research i've done online.  This was about a year ago.  I never went to the doctor because of the embarrasment factor.  Well today I went and he looked at me in astonishment and said I would have to be referred to a dermatologist and would probably have to have them "lasered" off.  I haven't heard of this treatment and I was wondering if anyone else has and if i can get any info on it.

I answered this in your own thread.

Aj
wow.. this is the fourm i needed.. ive been living with warts for years.. but most of the time it was unprotected i got sober 2 years ago... and thats when my mind came back.. for me.. when it comes to.. dating and telling them.. its one of the first things i do.. its embarresing .. but once they know.. im ok.. i cant live with the fact that i gave it to one more person.. what i do.. i never had a wart on the penis.. i allways had it on the public hair.. area.. i wear boxers during sex as well as a condom to protect her..
I had sex for the first time with my boyfriend 6 months into our relationship. And 2 months later I had a "light" case of genital warts(meaning not a severe case) my paps smear came out normal. My boyfriend also went to the doctors and they ran like a test to see if warts appear and they didn't.(he has been my only sexual partner). I unfortunantly was treated for genital warts which was very painful but my boyfriend was there every step of the way.(you know its love when he sticks by you even without 3 months of sex lol) anyways. they warts seem to have come back and I was tired of this whole thing, so I thought to my self, ok, there has to be another way besides these painful treatments. My mom has always been a health nut taking vitamins etc. So I looked online and came across a site talking about taking liquid garlic oil pills which is a vitamin that you can pick up at the store for maybe $5...and I swear too you they were gone in maybe 2-3 days. I don't know what liquid garlic pills do, but they made them go away. I can't 100% gurantee you that it will work but from all the post online that I have read, it worked for them. And what do you have to loose $5 dollers. so just go to the store and pick some up take the recommend amount I think it's like one for every major meal you have. It's been a little over a year and I'm wart free! and still with my boyfriend actually are two year anniversary is next month. Hpv and genital warts is not the end of the world you still have a looonnngg life a head of you. And I'm in college, have a good job and wonderful life and I'm happier than ever!
Good Luck!
I don't believe for a second that garlic pills would cure an HPV infection.  In fact, nothing can other than your own immune system.  And having normal paps with low risk HPV is common.  Recurrences after having warts removed is common as well, which is what happened in your case.  Your own body put the HPV in check, not the garlic pills.  You can also rest assured that your boyfriend has low risk HPV as well, he was just one of many individuals who does not exhibit visible symptoms.  And why were you waiting three months to have sex with someone who was already infected?  Did it take this long to remove the warts?

I believe in taking care of yourself, taking vitamins and leading a healthy lifestyle, but no vitamin or holistic "cure" should ever be substituted in place of a doctor and mainstream medicine.
I apologize if my post souded like I was meaning that garlic pills cure hpv. When my warts came back I started taking the garlic oil pills and in about 2-3 days they started going away. Maybe they directly made the warts go away or maybe the helped my immune system fight it. But it's kind of odd to me that my immune system would build up that fast and they just go away. The doctor told me to wait until they fully go away to begin having sex I'm pretty sure it was 2-3 months..mmm...maybe more like 2 months...Unfortunantly I got many different answers when it came to having unprotected sex(but with birth control) with my boyfriend. They said the virus could possibly mutate so I waited a good 6 months. I haven't yet talk to or found anyone that was still with there boyfriend that gave them hpv. It's so weired how many people have this and its scary my best friend has the higher risk that causes cervical cancer and she's having problems. Also a girl that I worked with had the genital warts type. And then another girl that I worked with her best friend has it. And those are just people that I just happend to talk about it with(except my best friend of course I would know) But it's so scary and you get different information from different doctors. Like my doctor told me to still get the hpv shots to prevent me from getting those 4 types later down the road if I don't stay with my boyfried.And my best friends doctor said there was no point to get them, but I'm still urging her too..I think it's so new and unknown, I don't think anyone really knows except the very basic information.
Sharing your knowledge here as put many of us here in self confidence. Appreciate your
efforts. Can you refer to some good websites which will put more light on Genital Warts so we can also improve our knowledge.
www.ashastd.org is one of the best sites for all std info.

Aj
Thanks for the website information. I had noticed last week genital warts on my penis
(below head in groove) in 2 different places. I immediately went to my doctor and he confirmed it to be Genital Warts. The size of warts is very thin and less than 1 cm.
I am undergoing now Cryotherapy treatment from my doctor. He said I will have to
go through this treatment atleast twice or thrice. He said after that I will be okay.
I am married man and with  kids. Due to some reasons I did not have sex with
my wife for last 5 months. I dont want to disclose to my wife about this as she wont
be able to take. But I am very worried whether she had contracted genital warts through
me (we had sex about 5 months ago).
My question to you is:
will the Genital Warts reappear after Cryotherapy treatment ? What are the chances ?
If it does reappear what treatment should I do ? again Cryotherapy ?
How much time will it take me to recover that I am not contagious to others ?
Shall I ask my wife to do pap smear test ?
Kindly reply soon.
If you have the kind of HPV that causes warts, its not associated with a risk for cervical cancer.

Your wife might have been exposed - its really hard to know for sure unless she gets warts.  She can have an HPV test done with her pap, but if the infection isn't active, it won't show on the HPV test.

Warts can sometimes reappear - other times they won't.  There is no way to know this for sure.  If they do, you'll just get the cryotherapy again.  After you've gone several months without symptoms, you probably aren't infectious any longer, but again, there is no way to know this either.  (I know - I realize this information really stinks, we just don't know a lot about this and have no really good tests for it.)

How long have you been married?  I'm assuming you've been with other partners, too.  When did that happen?  If either you or your wife had partners prior to getting married, and you haven't been married a long time, its really hard to know when either of you were exposed.

Aj
Thanks for your reply and explanation. I really appreciate.
I read in www.ashastd.org that some people dont get back genital warts
after the first treatment, but some people get back those genital warts.
I am hoping I dont get back genital warts after my 1st treatment. God save me.
I am 42 years, I am married since 14 years to my wife and have 2 kids.
In past few times I have had slept with other few womens when on business trip. Now I realise how stupid and unfair I was to my wife. I just
want one more chance. Now I have really realised how much I love my
wife and kids. I dont want anything bad to happen to them.
I am sure my wife didnt have any other partner than me.
I have noticed genital warts only 4-5 days back on penis and have already gone once for Cryotherapy treatment. After few days again
again will go for 2nd Cryotherapy.. and may be one more time after
another week.
Since last 5 months I did not have sex with my wife because due
to many guests in our house our kids were sleeping with us.. so
we didnt get any chance to have sex in last 5 months even once.
Since 5 months we didnt have sex and I have developed warts only
recently.. should I ask my wife to go for pap smear test ??
Having a pap now isn't going to tell her much.  The important part of the pap would be the HPV test, and again, if she doesn't have an active infection right now - she can have it and not have an active infection - then the HPV test would be negative.

If she gets yearly paps, she'll be fine.

Aj
Thanks for your suggestion. So you think she should have pap done now to be safe ?
Regarding Genital Warts - What are the chances in percentage that after 1st genital
warts that it will reoccur and what are the chances it will not reoccur again ?? can you
throw some light on this ?
Aj you have been very helpful and I am very thankful to you.
I just hope that people who risk their lives by having multiple sex partners would come and visit this forum, then world would be safer place to live in. This forum would really
change the attitude of the people for those people who dont have any STD.

No, I don't think she needs a pap smear now.  I've tried to explain a few times that its not likely to tell her anything.  If she gets her yearly pap smears, she is going to be fine.

There are no percentages for the chances of your warts returning.  It really varies from person to person.

Aj
Thanks a lot for your explanation. You have been very helpful. Hope to keep in touch
with you if I have more query.
Today I went for 2nd Cryotherapy Treatment. My Doctor saw the Warts
and he noticed little improvement only. He did the Cryotherapy today
again. He said in 10 days there should be good improvement. And
probably will need 3rd Cryotherapy that time.
He says it should go away after 3rd Cryotheray. He says after 3rd Cryotherapy he will give me some liquid medication to apply.If small warts reappear he said to use that liquid medication immediately to
get rid of them.
Do you think he is doing correct treatment ? He is General Physician.
He is knowledgeable.. and he says Genital Warts has become too common so we need not worry and need to take approach positively.
He says Cryotherapy is good treatment for Genital Warts.
I dont know but, he being just GP, so I am having my doubts.
Can you inform which Doctor will be expert in diagnoising and treating
Genital warts in case nothing comes out of this treatment.
Yes, this is an appropriate treatment.

If you are concerned, then a dermatologist would be a good one to see, or even an std clinic.

Aj
Thanks. I will see how the treatment goes next few times.
I think one need to have patience for this treatment. Its really damn
terrible to have on you.
I know its annoying, but keep perspective.  Its not really any different than if you had a wart on your elbow, ya know?
These are the same exact words my doctor told me.. exact same.
He must be smart.  ;)

Just don't let yourself get all caught up in the stigma of it being an std.  80% of people will get HPV genitally in their lifetimes, so its just about unavoidable.

Aj
Thanks AJ.

communicating with you and knowing fact from you has really put me in relief.
I will keep you update about my progress.
Its 17 days after I was diagnosed and after 2 Cryotherapy. The warts
still remains. Its still visible. I have read in website, after cryotherapy
the blister is formed and the warts drops off and red new skin is developed. In my case it hasnt happened.
Auntiejessie can you guide me on this ? I have Uncircumcised Penis so
the warts are covered by the foreskin. Is it possible the foreskin is
preventing to heal properly the warts.
Today I have appointment with my Doctor again.
I just visited my Doctor. Since he didn see much improvement in Warts, today he
applied Podophyllin on warts.
He said to wash it off the area with water after 4 hours and asked me to visit
after 2 days.
He said he want to avoid more Cryotherapy on penis bcse too much of this
treatment is bad for penis bcse warts are on penis head. Further doing cryotherapy
might cause problem..
Kindly comment on this ?
Update - after 4 Hours of wash, there is no reaction. No irritation and No burning
sensation even.
Doctor is suggesting Laser treatment ? What do you think.
Pls comment on this ?
I would get this biopsied before I would do laser surgery, just to make sure its actually warts.

Aj
I am really worried.. I think it could be Penile Carcinoma instead of
warts. I am really tensed now.
Penile carcinoma is VERY rare, and I wouldn't worry at all about this if you didn't have a biopsy saying you had it.

Aj
or Could it be just white bumps which I heard about in some web site. Its common
in uncircumsized penis.
It could be - you need to get the biopsy done.

Aj
Again visited my Doctor, He saw warts. He thinks theres improvement.
One of Warts has become total White and dry. Its not painfull at all. He says its dead skin and it will drop off any time. It will become red when its drops off and new skin will form.
Another Warts is breaking up and its becoming bit painful, itchy at times.He says its clearing up warts thats why its painful and itchy.
He says within 1 week or 10 days all the warts might be clear and it will become Red. It will be painful till new skin is formed.
I asked him if Biopsy should be necessary. He says no need bcse he
is sure its Genital Warts.
Good.  Now you just have to wait, which I know *****.  :(

Aj
Tks. The white things finally have come off.. Pink/Red moist raw skin is visible now.
Doctor said to keep that area dry & Clean it twice a day.
He said to come back in 7-10 days.
I just want to know is the warts have melted with combination of Cryotherapy and Podophyllin ? or is it only by Podophyllin..
Pls inform can I use soap to clean that area now.. or just plain water wash is okay ?
Plain water is fine, and you should go easy on the soap as long as the skin is raw like this.

It could be a combo of both, or maybe just the podophyllin.  There's really no way to know.

Aj
Thanks for your Advice. The skin is healing. Also Doctor had given me an
antibiotic cream to apply after cleaning and drying that part.
Everything seem to be okay for now.
Thanks a lot for being an excellent guide. I really appreciate.. w/o you I would not
have confidence to cope the situation.
Hey there, im glad im not the only person out there who feels this way about warts. I contracted them around november last year but didnt get any warts until the following February. I'm a 20 year old lad who is at university, and stupidly has slept with numerous women unprotected. I just never thought it would happen to me, such an ignorant and naaive approch to adopt i know but that was how i was. The warts were located on the string that holds the foreskin to the penis (think its called banjo or wotever) i ignored them for a while hoping they would go away. they didnt so in may i went to my uni doc and he diagnosed me with GW. My face when he said those words must have been the most dissapointed and scared one you will ever see. He gave me cream which i applied to the infected area, around end june, beginning july they went away. I started a new job for the summer around july which has causing me to become stressed, hence the warts are starting to creep back in the same place as before, not as big, just little white bits over the banjo. i havnt gone to a doc to get treated again. I would just like to know, can i still lead a normal life with this std? Will I be able to meet a women, settle down and MOST IMPORTANTLY, can i still have children? That is all i would like to know, if you give me this answer it will take a heavy load off my mind. Many thanks and i hope everyone else who is in my position gets over this condition.
also jess, was wondering if a circumsision would fix my problem all together. as the warts were orginally on the banjo string and are now creeping back in the exact same area, if i were to get a circumsision and chop the dreaded banjo off, would that fix it?
Hi there -

I'll answer you here, raf, but if you have further questions, you should start your own thread.  

Most people will clear the virus within 2 years.  Its not uncommon to get recurrences when you first get them, and if your body is run down, that might make it easier for that to happen (we don't have any real proof of that, as some people who are totally healthy still get recurrences).

For now, it makes sense to get them treated as they appear.

And for both of you - I know it doesn't seem this way, but you are not alone.  80% will get HPV in their lifetimes, and if you have had 3 or more partners, its almost guaranteed that you will get HPV.

Its actually pretty hard to avoid.

We have a great HPV forum here that you should check out, too.

Aj
Realliy thanks thats great help. But can I still have children?? Please answer me that and I wont trouble you anymore!!!
Absolutely you can have children.

I'd wait to have sex until they are gone, though.  Then you can start making babies if you want.

Aj
Thanks AJ you really have taken a massive load of my mind. you have made a 20 year old enjoy life again!!!
I think Sex education must be made mandatory in all school and in all
the countries. One may assume he has lot of knowledge of Sex, but
there are many STD and STI that can happen to anyone and at any time
which they even never heard of.
Today again went to doctor for check up. Everything is clear it seems.
But he said he still could see 2 small bumps.  So Again today he applied podophyllin and asked to wash it off after 4 hours. He said to
visit after 10 days. After 10 days it will be almost 2 months of treatment.
I dont know will I be able to get rid of these warts ? Also I am worried
about recurrence. I wonder how soon it will recurr back ??
I learnt from website recurrence chances are high in the treatment from Podophyllin ? can you confirm this AJ ?
What website?  

Its only been 2 months.  It can take several months to clear this up.  Check www.ashastd.org.

Aj
I read in few websites that compared to other treatment,
the recurrence chances are more high in treatment by Podophyllin ?
I am not sure if what they claim is true ? I was wondering if you know if
treatment by podophyllin is good enough to get rid of warts ?

Yes, it is.  

From what I understand, and you can check with our HPV forum, recurrences are more about your body than about treatment.

Aj
Thanks for your reply.
I am feeling better now that you have cnfmd treatment by podophyllin is also good.
Aj - Hi

Today I went again to my GP. The area which I had warts has cleared
and has developed new skin (skin is darker than surrounding maybe due
to treatment). Doctor noticed new skin is still not smooth. He says
there are still 2-3 small bumps which he feels are warts. I think may be
they are just glands below skin or something else.
So again Doctor applied Podophyllin on that area.
If again new skin is developed and still if those bumps are visible which he thinks are warts, shall I take 2nd opinion with some Dermatologist ?
I have a feeling that maybe I was misdiagnoised and treated with warts
treatment.. I dont blame my doctor as he is only a general physician.
What do you suggest AJ ?I just have a question as below:
Since treatment is almost over.. will the new Dermatologist be able to diagnose looking at 2-3 small bumps if they are indeed warts ?
He might be able to.  A second opinion is never a bad thing.

Aj
Aj - Tks

Today after 5 and half hours of application of Podophyllin (usually its 4 hours time but
Doctor advised longer time) I washed the area..but no reaction. I thought the area will
melt or loosen.. but there is nothing of that sort happened. There is no reaction at all !!
I have had genital warts on the base of my shaft for 5 years now. The secret of ALDARA is, you have to get the warts off somehow on your own ( I used compound W) even though it sais do not use on genital warts, I dob a drop on each wart (10 this last time) i let the Compound w harden then fall or peel off, then i reapeat, it takes about 5-6 times before the wart turns black or grey ( basically dead) after about 7 days (atleast in the desert dry air) the warts dry up and flatten out as they scab, then eventually after showering and stuff, the scab peels away, after all that sometimes you gotta hit a few of the bumps again with the compound W because after the scab falls off, there is still a smaller version of it there, i just went through this process it took like 9 days and the warts were all gone, just slight raising of the skin where the biggest one was, its hard to eliminate them all at one time. Anyway dont let anyone say nono dont use compound W, as long as the warts arent on the head your good, atleast i think its worth the risk if there is one, becasue nothing else out there will clear warts in a week for $6.00. Anyway back to the aldara, if you have insurance its like $160 for the 4 month treatment, otherwise its $1200, when you burn off all the warts, THEN apply the aldara
because the aldara did not clear my warts, but after 4 months of using it, it PREVENTED them for 8 months. So basically, Im thinking about just using aldara 3 times a week for life, to prevent. Untill then I'll use compund. Fellas, its all good from there on, get oral, use condoms, and when the time is right, you will meet that special girl/guy and everything will work. This site gave me a good feeling about my otherwise dreaded situation.
I would NOT suggest using compound w on genital warts.  Its can cause burns on the thin tissue that the penis and vagina is made up of.

We have a great HPV forum here now, and you all should check that out.

AJ
Well AJ, as a female you would not know about having hpv on the male part. So I can recomend it to men becaus eI have been using it 5 years, it does not leave any permanent burns or scarring. thank you
No, you are right - I don't have a male part.

I have, however, worked in std clinics for a long time, and have had male patients come in with burns and irritation from it on their genitals.

People will use it, but they need to make an informed decision.

Aj
Hi AJ:

I've read over your responses, and I was hoping you can help that out.

I'm a 29 y/o, white male -- handsome, educated, professional with a high-paying job.  I am fairly sexually active but practice safe sex and am fastidious about my sexual health.  But apparently, not careful enough.

I just got diagnosed with genital warts.  Out of the blue, I noticed a "spot" on my penis, just below the foreskin ... actually three of them -- two adjacent and one "speck" about a couple centimeter off.  All are less than 3 mm in diameter, and after looking at pictures on the internet, I didn't think they looked like warts.  But just to be sure, I got the doctor to look at them.

My doc didn't know what they were and said they didn't look like any genital warts he ever saw.  But, the only wat to be sure was to do a biopsy.  He excised the two adjacent ones, leaving the "speck."  I wish he had taken them all.  Lab tests revealed them to be warts, and now I've got to go back Monday and get the "speck" taken off.  The place where the others were removed is just about healed up.  

A lot of questions are bouncing around my head right now.  I am angry and ashamed.  This couldn't have come at a worse time.  I've just started seeing someone new who I really like.  Lucky for her, I haven't had sexual contact with her.  I am angry and ashamed and am not looking forward to breaching the subject with her.  I am afraid she will run away or think I am trash, which is how I feel.  

Some of which can be answered by using the resources on the internet, and others that I'm sure my doctor can help me with Monday.  Problem is, I've got three sleepless nights between now and then.  I was wondering if you could help me with a couple issues that I found contradictory or unsatisfactory answers to.

1)  HPV is transferred through skin-to-skin contact.  What I don't understand is how you can ever know what skin is infected.  Could I transfer it through non-sexual contact, i.e. holding hands or kissing?  

2) From what I've read, excision has an ~90% efficacy rate with a 25-30% chance of recurrence.  Any experience or comment on this claim from what you've seen?

3) Is it ever "safe" for me to have sex again -- at least in the near-term?  The lesions I mentioned before are the only ones I have.  I and the doctor checked pretty thoroughly.   I've read condom use decreases your chances of infection, but I used a condom and still got it -- through incidental contact, I imagine.  Is it all my skin cells or just those in my genital region that carry the virus?

4) What about oral?  I know someone who gives me oral can get mouth warts, but what if I give someone oral?  

5) Any thoughts on the vaccine.  I'm thinking when I tell the girl I'm seeing now, I'll offer to pay for the vaccine for her.  It is expensive, but cost is no object as I would pay anything for some piece of mind  She's 28 though, and I read that it is intended for girls younger than 25.  Is she too old.  

Thanks in advance for your help.  Judging from your comments above, you're a saint.  
Hi there and thanks for the kind comments.  :)

First, before I address the questions, you should know that you have nothing to be ashamed of, or really even angry about.  About 80% of people will get HPV at some point in their lives, and not to sound harsh, its just your turn.  Condoms reduce the rate of HPV transmission by about 70%.  Most HPV infections are asymptomatic, so whichever partner you got this from probably didn't know she had it.

There is no such thing as 100% "safe" sex.  There is safer sex, and that's because HPV, herpes, syphilis and molluscum can be transmitted even with condoms.  Its awesome that you use condoms, though, and that has reduced your chances of some stds, and prevented others.

No.  Its only infectious from your genital area.  There are dozens and dozens of strains of HPV, but the strains that affect the genitals are not transmitted by holding hands or kissing.

That's probably about right, and a lot will depend on your own health, etc.

Its just the ones in the genitals, and in the near term, you are probably going to be infectious for at least several months.  Condoms reduce transmission by about 70%.

Oral HPV is rare, but it does happen.  If you give someone oral who has no symptoms, the chances of you getting it orally are very low.  If someone gives you oral now, with symptoms, the chances will be higher, but overall, its still pretty rare to get oral HPV, with what we know now.

By FDA standards, she might be, but plenty of doctors are giving this to women older than 26, and to men.  She would probably have to pay for it out of pocket, but I think its a good idea.  If you hadn't asked about it, I would have brought it up.

You can read more about HPV in the HPV forum here, or at www.ashastd.org.

Aj

Can you have genital warts or bumps on your butt (anal area) if you never had anal sex?or sexual contact in the area?

I never had unprotested sex and never had anal sex but I have bumps around anal area.

Not sure if it is genital warts but will have it check as I have appointment on Monday

But I am going crazy and freaking out after reading here that you can still have warts even with protected sex.  
Yes, you can get warts in the anal area without having had anal sex, but its more likely that you would get them there if you had.

Don't freak - it could simply be a rash or shaving bumps.  Just go get it checked.

AJ

I don't know how to tell you how happy I am that I found this place. I found some bumps around my vagina about two or three weeks ago. I've been planning on going to doctor, but I don't have insurance, so I'm waiting till I can get some money together to actually get checked out. Reading all that you guys have to say has made me realize that I'm not alone. That's not to say I'm happy other's are going though the same thing I am, but God, I was so afraid of being completely isolated by problem.
I've been thinking that this meant I couldn't ever have a real relationship again.
What I'm getting at is I want to thank everyone here for being brave enough to talk about it on this forum. I can't ever tell you what it means to me that you all have given the strength to face this head on. I'm hoping for the best.
I want to specifically thank auntiejessi for your sound advice: Get checked. And that's just what I'm going to to.
Good luck everyone. Please stay strong, and know at least one person is with you.
x
Have you thought about going to an std clinic?  Just google your state's health dept, and you can find std clinics.  Most are free or very low cost.  If you need help finding one, let me know what state you are in, and I might be able to help.

Aj
First of all thank you for all your advice.

I have a follow up to my previous issue.

I was diagonoused with Molluscum early last month but had it sinces mid-August. I did some research online and decided to treat it myself with Zymaderm. It worked all my bumps are gone and I no longer ahve any bumps. It was like miracle ... 2 weeks of tiwce a day application.

Now, that focus is gone from Molluscum ...new point of attnetion has appeard... my joint line of Buttlocks (where two chicks meets below my rectrum)  to my sack in the front has this line (7/8 inhes long) of straight rounded 1/4 inch thick swollen - its whitish red soft, tender and looks like as if a thin pipe undernith skins. its right on the joint so difficuit to see.

Is this a skin infection or recation to Zymaderm for Molluscum?? or is this one of the symtoms to other std???

Appreaciate your help

To add one more information I forgot....

I also have tingling feeling on the top and the bottom of there my butt-chick met. I can feel a small lump as if a insect bite about 1/4-1/2 inch lump above where my butt-chick meet
That could be the perineum raphe (google it), but I'm not sure I'm understanding exactly where you are talking about.

If you are getting tingling from it and its tender, you should see your doctor.

Aj

I'm really glad I came across this forum and would love if anyone could help me with some advice.

First, I would like to say to those of you who are scared to tell your partners about your HPV, don't be. If you find someone that really loves and cares about you they will understand. My husband and I have been married for just over 2 years. We found out he had genital warts just after we got engaged. I've supported him the entire time and never once thought about running. How could I? I love him to bits and I could have just as easily been in the same situation as neither of us were abstinent before meeting.

However, we have had some issues with our sex life and I'm at the point where I just want things to be normal, without any worry. My husband has had the warts treated and they'll go away for a bit but then come back. In between treatments his skin is raw and he's in a bit of pain... so needless to say our sex life hasn't been particularly stellar the past 2 years.

We've never had sex without a condom and up until this point, I have remained free of the warts. We've also steered clear of oral sex, in hopes that these warts would clear up and there would be less chance (at least from our understanding) of him passing them on to me.

I have gone to the doctor numerous times for checkups and tests and come out all clear but I am aware that I may have already contracted the virus and just not shown symptoms.

I'm 27 years old and have never had sex without a condom. I'm getting to the point where I want to have children and obviously this is going to have to change but my husband is so scared of passing on the warts to me. I've told him numerous times that I don't care but he's just scared to death of giving me the HPV.

I just want to have a normal sex life with my husband without a condom and I want him to be able to enjoy oral sex as well.

Here are my questions?

1) How common is it for someone to pass on the HPV orally? We're both extremely paranoid about spreading the genital warts to our faces. Should we be as frightened as we are of oral sex?

2) My husband has had the warts burned off numerous times but they just keep coming back. He is extremely healthy (way healthier than I am). Goes to the gym nearly every day, loves eating healthy, etc. Has anyone else experienced the warts coming back for more than 2 years? Any other advice you can give us on treatment?

3) Is anyone else in a committed relationship dealing with these issues? And if so, do you have any advice?  

Thank you and best of luck to you all! :)
1 - Oral warts are rare, and are usually not found in otherwise healthy people.

2 - 90% will clear it within 2 years, but that means 10% will have them longer.  He is doing everything he can, and it just takes time.

3 - I'll let someone else answer, but you should check out our HPV forum (see the community description at the top of this page for a link) and I'm sure you'll get some tips there.

Aj

I have been diagnosed with hpv.I have about 7 to 10 warts on my nutsack.I also have 2 on my penis.I noticed that my butt was itching a lot,so I stood on my sink facing the mirror and put my head between my legs,to get a better view of my anus.it looked like a colony of crater rocks piled together.they were everywhere.it reminded me of a cauliflower garden or something.I jumped down from the sink and was fighting back the tears.I made an appointment to see the doctor.went thru my first session of cryotherapy.it felt good.3 days have passed and I noticed that my warts are extremely white,or very dark colored.my lovelife is at a standstill.all I do now is masturbate to porno,and play my x box 360.trying to stay positive.thanks for all the stories.
aj,
Thanks for all the information. I have come to the conclusion that I unfortunately am not able to deal with this without seeking someone to help with my mental health. I had a gun in my mouth two nights ago and fortunately I pulled myself to my senses. I brought the gun to a friends house yesterday to remove that factor. I cant say that the suicidal feelings have stopped but Im fighting them off temporarily. I was diagnosed with genital warts and it has completely devastated me. I cant see how it would be possible to have a normal romantic life ever again. I never considered myself a weak person but apparently this has got the best of me.
I just recently started seeing a girl that is a friend as well. We have not had sex as of yet but I am absolutely terrified to bring this up.
****** whatever. Thanks again for the info
Coolo -

I'm not sure if you know that this is not a lifelong issue.  90% will clear this within 2 years, and most of those in 8 months.  This is a temporary issue, not a lifelong one.  If you commit suicide, you are making a permanent decision based on a temporary problem.

PLEASE follow through on the help you plan to get.  Its a big step you have taken in admitting you need help, and sometimes, that's the hardest part.

Also, please read this - http://www.ashastd.org/learn/learn_hpv_myths.cfm  look at #6

You should talk to your gf about the HPV vaccine.  It takes 6 months (3 shots), to have full immunity from it, but by then, you might not have it anymore.

Aj

I have been living with HPV for over 15 years. I contracted it in my late teens and thought it was the end of the world. Initially I had many breakouts but as my immunity built up, they became less and less. I was married and went 10 years without any symptoms. However, when I divorced and started a new realtionship another outbreak occurred. Many things can bring on outbreaks after they have been dorment for a while. Stress and illness are huge factors. I've been outbreak free for the past two years again now. HPV never goes away but it is manageable. You will always be a carrier and risk giving it to a partner whether you have an outbreak or not AND whether you wear a condom or not (however condoms due decrease chances of passing it on). I know this from EXPERIENCE not just reading forums. But know that a loving relationship is still possible. The right guy/girl will love you no matter what. Good luck.
My guess is that you had a new infection, not a recurrence after 10 years.

It does go away - see #6 - http://www.ashastd.org/hpv/hpv_learn_myths.cfm

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/516223

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/590885

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/720874

http://www.cdc.gov/std/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm#treatment
Can you carry more than one strain? My partner was not a carrier and I did not catch a new case from anyone so I'm confused when you say "new infection."
Yes, you can have more than 1 strain.  How do you know your partner wasn't a carrier?  Even if your partners are women, and they have a negative HPV test done with their paps, or have normal paps, it doesn't mean they don't have it.  A negative HPV test just means its not active at that time.

90% of HPV infections are asymptomatic, so your partner could have had it and not known it.  If your partners are men, there is no commercial test available for men and HPV.

Aj

Just been reading all the posts from the last couple of years.

It just makes me frustrated in so many ways. I found out I had HPV about 4 years ago but do not know who I got it from. I have always had protected sex apart from 2 long term relationships over ten years ago.

The medical professionals are so blase and unsympathetic about it. The information given is sparse; I really feel they have so many cases to deal with that they become detached from you as a human and a patient.   I am in my late 30's and  consider myself to be an educated person,  and I (naively)had never heard of HPV until I was diagnosed with it! Bizarrely, I developed anal warts....still don't know why!

My last 2 pap tests have come back as 'borderline' and the doc casually informed me it could  be because of HPV, her attitude stank! Now my mind has gone into overdrive that I am developing cervical cancer!
After 4 years, I still have a couple of the buggers! I have tried to get an appointment at the local clinic in my hols but have missed the boat. What I want to know is, can a GP prescribe treatment? I tried to get the cream from the internet but annoyingly, it is prescription only. Why are the treatments so hard to come by?

There is so much conflicting advice out there. I feel like many other folk, ashamed and have low self esteem. I have not had a partner for over 3 years and do not feel in the least like trying to get one. I feel that my romantic life is over!

Help!

Any doctor can prescribe it, so your gp certainly can.

I know its frustrating that doctors don't take time to explain things.  Its one of my biggest pet peeves with doctors.  I personally don't let doctors leave until I am finished and understand everything.  I have told a couple of doctors to come back in and sit down, because I had questions that I needed answered.  One of the nurses actually gave me a thumbs up behind the doctor's head.

You should check out http://www.ashastd.org/hpv/hpv_learn.cfm for a ton of good info.

Aj
hey
I was just wondering when genital warts arnt contagious? to my knowledge mine have been gone 4 about 9 months or more.. would "experts" say that after this time they are no longer contagious? my dr told me a story about a man she had treated who hadn't had them 4 20 years and then during a marriage break up he got run down and got the genital warts again....
im confused I just really think there's sh*t all study on this disease nd the doctors dont even completely know what they're saying (no offense) but yea i just wanted to know coz my last boyfriend just wanted "to be friends" when i told him... it sux *** man

I just got back from my GP and he thinks i have genital warts on my anus, I went to see him because I thought I had hemorroids or something. I am shocked and confused on how I got warts because I always have protected sex and I've never had anal sex before (nothing has ever gotten close to that area).  I have an appointment tomorrow with a dermatologist so I am hoping that this is something else.  I read on the internet that these warts are not painful but I am in pain when I am sitting or walking, also when i go #2.  does GW give you pain in the infected area?
OK we have a few different people posting to this.  I will answer each briefly, but if you want to ask more questions, start your own thread, or it will be impossible to keep up with.

Bear - HPV clears from the body usually within 2 years.  That man your doctor talked about probably had a new infection after all that time.

FmyLife - read this thread - http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/Questions/show/734306  Its all about anal warts in hetero men.  When you go to the derm, ask him if a biopsy will help determine for sure if its HPV.

For anyone else reading this thread, PLEASE start your own.  You can do this by clicking on the green "Post a Question" at the top of the page.

Aj
thanks AJ, I read that link you told me about and I guess its inconclusive about anal warts in hetro men. I'll post a seperate question for my other question
hi, i went to g.u.m clinic for a check up.... i was worried i had gential warts as i had a few bumps ... the doc said i was fine n gave me the all clear... but 4 weeks later i get another raised skin like thing down there and i go to my gp.. who says its gential warts. so i am due to go tomorrow to get it confirmed and checked out. I was a complete mess about an hour ago thinking, oh my goodness i have this for life.. bla bla bla... the whole stigma thing going round my head.. but thanks to reading this website , u have no idea how much u have helped, im so glad there is people out there that dedicate their time to helping people rests their minds..
Just 1 queston that im still not completly clear on. u say 80% off people clear off the virus after 2 yrs.. does that mean u no longer have the virus? no longer possiably able to pass it on???

thank u so much
Well, there is some question as to whether the virus goes dormant or leaves your body, but you would no longer be able to transmit.

I'm glad you are feeling better about it.  :)

Aj
I am a 23 yr old female who has had 4 partners, one that I married and divorced. I noticed ab two weeks ago some small white bumps and then I noticed 2 days ago a larger wart, so I went to the gyno today. She didn't tell me really anything, except that the one bump does look like genital warts. She is doing a biopsy along with the pap that I had done and I should know the results in a week. She made me feel terrible today. She told me I would always spread this. I want children and that means having unprotected sex with someone eventually, but I never want to spread this to anyone.

I have read the things you have posted and they really do make me feel better. I just want to ask you a few questions:

1- so after 2 yrs of not having any symptoms, I would be able to try and have children or would you recommend waiting longer than that.

2- Would you recommend getting the vaccine even after having the virus?

3. After 2 years and not changing partners, I will not have an outbreak?

You have probably answered these questions before, but like I said my doctor today really gave me a grim diagnosis that has really depressed me.
Please post your question in a new thread. It is not good to jump on to others and post questions. It's easier to follow your question if it is on your own thread.
So click the link that says "post question"
i'm 23 year old male with genital warts, or at least i think i have them....isnt that bad enough to think you have them??? you might as well be truly diagnosed instead of thing you have them, anyway i'm on my toes now as the number of partners i've had.  less than 5 have been without protection.  even though i dont know who might've been responsible(techinically it was I who is ultimately responsible) i still have contracted the disease.  I would guess i've been a carrier for a couple of years now? maybe.  so the main problems i present are as follows.....:::::::  how do i live with myself?  i know there are many others with the same problem but, I have it......you never go through life admiting you have a problem but i've admitted it and i have a problem.   secondly, i've had sex with 3 different parteners over the last year, 1 was definately without a condom, 2, was with a condom but, it became lost for about 15 minutes and so was 3.  

the qustion is.....if i am a carrier and have unprotected sex with a partner for a very brief period of time, will they contract the virus, have a chance of contracting it, or are they safe?...

there is much more to come but soo little space, any question, suggestions, or comments would be greatly appreciated,
i dont feel that Bad , i mean it could have been Worse :S you know how many things are out there , its not deadly , you have to be positive and about the relationships and Love you just have to think that there would be a Bigger Test of Love for the Person, so be positive ya'll this is Common and its not the End of the World, i got diagnosed just today but hey the World keeps going,it sucks but we have to visualise Positive thing.
I just came down with the "warts" about 4 months ago.  Burnt 'em off and they came back.  Burnt 'em off and they came back.  Tried an alternative method I found online.  YES! They went away.  It was basically a chemical burn.  But there were no scars afterwards.  It was a beautiful thing.  Then...they came back :-/

So, I went back to the clinic the other day.  I had a very long, informative conversation with the practitioner.  Basically, this is what she told me:

--"they" think that if you have had more than 2 sexual partners you have been exposed to the virus
--you can never know who gave you the virus to you because you can develop symptoms within a couple of weeks or however many years
--"they" have not been able to confirm any link between stress and/or immune system performance and a breakout of warts

(Now, this one may sound selfish, cruel, wrong, or all of the above)

--one should NOT necessarily feel obligated to tell your sexual partners about the fact that you have or have had warts

I know.  I thought the same thing when she said this to me.  But, think of it for a minute.  Chances are that anyone you're gonna be with has already been exposed to the virus.  They may just be one of the lucky ones that doesn't display any symptoms.

Dealing with this situation is a not easy.  I say this as I sit in my room on a Saturday night.  I've just started the next cycle of this alternative method.  This means I'm sitting in front of my computer having just applied the home-made solution with a band-aid on the shaft of my penis and another cotton ball "bandage" taped around my chode.

TONS O' FUN

As for the warts that have now spread to my anus.  I thought about getting the Aldara, but I read about some pretty nasty side-effects with that stuff.  So,  I think I'll get those frozen off in a couple of weeks and go strictly top. ;-?

I would love to converse more about this.  It is a very lonely place to be.

Good luck to all!
About three weeks ago, I noticed many small bumps near the opening of my vagina and on the area between my inner labia. I'm not sure if they have always been there ( I don't often look down there), or if they recently popped up. After researching online, I was convinced I had genital warts. However, I have only had sex with one person in the last 2 years, and could not have gotten the virus from him (he had never had sex or any type of sexual contact with anyone but me). My last sexual partner was about 3 years ago, and we used protection.

A week after discovering the bumps, I went to my GP, whom did a pap and examined the bumps. She said they did not look like warts to her, but to "keep an eye on it". I'm still worried that she did not examine the area well enough, or just thought I was being paranoid. It does not seem like the bumps have changed much, although it's hard to tell because it is possible I may not have seen them all to begin with.
-Should I ask my doctor to do a biopsy or test for HPV? Even though she told me she didn't think they were warts, I still cannot stop thinking about it!!!
hey if anyone is thinking of asking "the Angel" of this forum (AJ) a question just keep reading chances are she already answered it, so key facts
-80% of ppl will get some kind of HPV (cant run those odds forever) so when telling ur hopeful significant others let them no that they will probably get it from someone else
-you can get it in your but even if you dont take it ther
-2 years and your in the clear
-check out that website she mentions a million times
-no substitute for GP
-70% protection rate with condoms
hopefully this will help AJ a little because she help me huge oh and supplement vitamins your immune system is generally what gets rid (suppress') this annoying virus so dont negelect your diet
I just wanna say thanks to the people who have posted. Some of you have really given me hope for the future. like most of you, i have a friend who i am interested in, and am scared to take it to that next level because  i NEED to tell them, but am afraid to. I have not been checked out yet, mostly because i do not want to hear that i have it. But i have to know if i am going to tell her. i have only developed 2 small bumps, almost unseeable, and one i squeezed over a few different days because it looked like a pimple, a small amount of white stuff came out, not really like a pimple though. since then the now smaller bump has not gone away completely, so i am not sure if it is indeed a wart or not but i am looking at it like it is. I workout a lot and take vitamins, i also eat healthy, and have surrounded my self with friends that i laugh all the time with. i believe that has helped to keep the stress down and the virus at bay. keep healthy everyone and know your not alone
Hi... First of all i would really like to thank u all for posting these comments about Gental wards... It was so helpful for me.. As in last 7 days this was the first time i heard this term.

I just got engaged n ma fiance and me had sex. He is my first partner. But after few day he got generic ward detected. Now he is scared if this virus been passed to me. Though i haven't gone thru any test till now.. M not sure if this going to be postive or as chances are 70% that i m infexted with the same.

But now i really wanna know can we both get married and can live  a normal life n can have a child tooo.
My partner is not agreed upon getting married now as he dont wont to spoil ma life.

Please suggest what best we can do... I love him madly and cant loose him....I am ok with whatever  past he had but really concerned about our future...
Thank you to everyone that has posted.  Your stories are inspirational and provide strength for others who are going through the same thing.  

Today was the day that i faced the reality of having genital warts.  I am a 21 year old male still in college and the last sexual encounter i had was 2 years ago.  The first sign appeared about a month after that encounter.  For the last 2 years i have been depressed and holding this secret from everyone i love.  Over those 2 years i have had so much time to think, and slip into an anti-social stereotype.  My first 2 years of college were so exciting and filled with great times.  Meeting new people, all the parties, and the girls.  but my second 2 years has only been filled with the thought of being alone and never meeting anyone who will accept me for what i am.  Yesterday was the first time i ever told anyone and i was a wreck. i had to sit my roommates down and explain to them why i havnt been going out to the bars with them, why i dont have girls over to hang out, and other questions that they had in their minds.  

I read an earlier post about this guy that has never had a girlfriend before and only had a few partners and had contracted genital warts.  He went on to talk about how it has turned him into this person who doesnt go out much and fears contact with girls because of having the thought of disclosing his condition to them.  I thought i was reading the story about my life.  

I am currently a captain of a division I athletics team and im my last year of college, but so lonely.  My unicorn that i went to elementary school with has finally expressed her love for me but i am soo scared to tell her.  She always calls me and wants to hang out, and i want to so bad but instead i tell her i am busy and have too much practice or work.  my doctor perscribed me aldara today but i have to tell my parents i have genital warts first because aldara is expensive and insuance may not cover it.  Does anyone have any stories of telling family members? my roommates are extremely supportive of me and have given me so much strength already.

I will not let genital warts control my life, i am determined to find happiness. happiness within myself and happiness in a partner..someday.  

It is not the probelm that's the problem, it is the way you deal with the problem.

Peace and love

I am in a world of depression... but i have hope that this happened to me for a reason. You never know if this is a warning from God to slow down... FORGET THAT! this is a curse from the devil himself. I am 22 years old female and now realizing that I am not the only one in this. I have been infected for 2 years now but just started getting warts 6 months ago, at first i thought i was a ingrow hair since i always shaved but this one was different. I knew it was gential warts as soon as i really looked at it... i was so fukkin angry i farted lol (trying to lighten the situation.) Now, I have a older man 29, and i really love him but i know i have infected him too (been with him for 8 months now.) I wanna tell him everything but if he would to walk out my life now, i would just break up and give up. I have warts on the cervic, vagina and anal the whole 9 yrds if you may say... and to make matter worse, to relive my stress i smoke weed everyday. I hear weed has a affect on the outbreaks. But, my warts never really go away and i have done freezing and podofilm (resin).

Maybe someone in this forum can shine some light on my **** life...
But God is Good :)
Hi Guys, i was diagnosed  with HPV when i was just 18 and thats how i found out my bf of 2 1/2 years had been cheating on me!

I kept getting re-ocurring thrush and the little bumbs appeard. Being a health freak, I went to the docs ASAP!

I used Ardasal (or something like that) the white cream twice a day for about two weeks. The little buggers dissapeared after about 3 weeks.

I felt very dirty, disgusted and just completely shocked.

After a few years I let it go as its very common and many ppl have had it but never mention it (like the person who gave it to you).

5 years later (today) i was diagnosed with it again. Ive had the 3 HPV Cerv Cancer injections. Its so very hard to say if this is a reoccuring event or if my recent bf passed it on (i am very suspicious as he has had many gfs and never used condoms).

I personally believe the virus left and i have caught this virus again due to the vast time frame.

This time I have had the freezing method. Its been about 10 hours since the procedure and i can feel tingling but no visable changes, Doc said about two weeks though.

I can honestly say I will NEVER have sex without a condom again unless I get a long term partner who is willing to have sex check but then they cannot diagnose if they cannot see warts (they may still have virus)

Its common and not really a health concern except potential cervial cancer for women. ALOT of ppl have this, so its not the end of the world, just a lesson to us fools who should be more CAREFULL with SAFE SEX!

Hope you all can overcome this hurdle!
this is a very old post  now. please do not add anything new to it. if you have questions, start your own post as is asked in our read before posting post on this forum.

also all hpv related questions should be asked on the hpv forum.

thank you!

grace
hi im a 23 year old male who has contracted G/W from my girlfriend .. shed didnt knwo she had them and had no signs of them but i guess my body didnt deal with it like hers ... i havent been able to talk to anyone about it because i am so embaressed and when i try to talk to her she shuts down ... im left by self and it sucks ... at times i feel like i normally wouldnt deal with her ******** if it werent for the genital warts... and thats not right to have to live the rest of my life with someone because your scared you wont be able to find someone else ... ive been left not knowing what to do and it has made me completely depressed .. i used to go out with my friends all the time and have fun i know im a good looking guy that used to have plenty of self confidence but i feel i have been stripped of all that ... if there is anyone that would be able to talk to me i would love it ... my AIM screen name is mox777
Im 18 years old and i have recently found out i have genital warts. Since i found out i have lost all my confidence and i now feel like my life is coming to an end. Only my best friend knows about this i havent even told my parents because im too digusted in myself to admit i was an idiot for not using protection with my ex partner. i am clear of the virus and luckily i only had a few. but does this mean i have to use protection for the rest of my life? If i was to meet someone i feel like i dont want to let myself get close to them because of what i have. Theres not a day goes past where its not on my mind and its really getting me down. I want to live my life like a normal 18 year old but i cant! I dont want to be on my own forever!
All i want is someone with the same as me to talk to. Not being able to talk about it is making me worse and getting me depressed.....

Someone please HELP!
i found out i have genital warts then i met a new guy and we connected i broke it off with him he called  and i told him why i broke it off i told him i have genital warts and he told me he's not going nowhere he going to stick it out with me to the end and now we are engaged to be married im telling you to be honest just tell her when yall are alone dont you wish the person who gave it to you would have let you made a choice rather you want it or not then let them have a choice
Where to start....
I'm 19 year old, female, and about two years ago I was dating a guy for about 10 months when I noticed a painful sore on my vagina, I went straight to the hospital and the doctor took one look and said it was herpes.. They treated me and took a swab, telling me they would call on the Monday after with my results proving that I do infact have it. They never called, and things sort of fell to the wayside, because the boyfriend I was with, who gave me the STD, committed suicide. I found out later he had in fact been cheating on me.. I was so ******* inlove with him too...
Anyways I was kind of in denial about the whole thing, thinking well maybe I dont have it, because I never got the solid evidence on paper.
Recently Ive been trying to get back on my feet, get into college, and live a normal live after all the devastation I had been through... When I developed this small bump above my clitoris, and that made me extremely freaked out. I thought oh great I'm breaking out, I guess I do have it for sure. But then I thought, what if it's something else? Because it did not seem like the thing I had before and wasn't really in the same area.. My biggest fear was it being genital warts... So I went to the doctor, he took a look and diagnosed me with Genital Warts.....
That was today.
I've been sleeping with one guy this whole time, hes one of the first guys I've been with since my previous boyfriend died.. We aren't dating, and  usually we use a condom but there have been a few occasions where we were drunk or whatever and protection went out the window.
About a month ago I did sleep with someone else though, I'm bi polar so I had been drinking and carrying on, and ended up sleeping with a friend of a friend... I dont remember if we used protection or not but I guess one time can **** everything up. I dont know if it was him I got it from or not, it was only over a month ago, and I seem to remember finding a little bump in the same area before him but I find of shrugged it off as razor burn from shaving.
I really don't know what to do, I'm completely distraught, bawling my eyes out...
Ill never be able to have a normal relationship again... Once I get the piece of paper confirming the herpes, especially... I'm so ******* young, just turning 20 in November, and I'll probably never be married or have kids. How do you tell someone you have two STDs? It was hard enough for me thinking about possibly telling someone I love about the first one, now this?? It will just never happen, anyone I tell it to wont understand and just think I'm a dirty skank...  And run the complete other way...
Right now I just feel like giving up... Maybe do myself in, too. I've got two serious ******* horrible things for the rest of my life... What's the point?
Hello, reading through this forum has been amazing, it has told me so many things i didnt know and its so nice to know there are people there to talk too

i too have contracted genital warts, i have been having treatment for nearly two months now, all i have ever used is