Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Men with Genital Warts

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Men with Genital Warts

Hi, I am 19 years old and I was diagnosed with Genital Warts about a year ago. I found out just days before I went off to college and as of a result I went through a terrible depression fearing rejection. I want to have a family in the future and my question is: can I have a healthy baby without HPV/Genital Warts or other Health complications? Can I still have sex (with a condom) without passing on the STD to my partner?
Avatar n tn
90% of all infected clear the virus within 6-24 months. That you are young works in your favor. Clearing the virus means you just are not infectious at that time, not that its gone. You can have a healthy baby and after the warts are gone for awhile, wearing a condom gives your partner a 50% chance of not getting what you have and not getting a strain they have. Of course, if your partner is sexually active herself, she probably has been exposed to it.  IMO, you should get the vaccine now as it will prevent strains you don't already have. This is not the end of your sex life or the end of the world. You will realize this soon.
I was diagnosed with Genital warts about 3 weeks ago and also had your concerns, it's a super common and on the most part harmless STD (theres only a few strains that can cause cancer).... it's more of an annoyance really.
When you clear the virus then it will go dormant and as long as you keep a healthy immune system then your body will keep it in check like every other cold, virus or infection that you have had in your lifetime, theres every chance that it will never return.
For example, If you get chickenpox then its pretty rare it flares up again as shingles!
The majority of sexually active people contract a strain of HPV in there lifetime, your no different and more importantly your not alone!