Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Misdiagnosed with genital warts?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Misdiagnosed with genital warts?

Could Aldara cream clear up genital warts in just 3 treatments? From what I've read online, it seems extremely unlikely and even my doctor was surprised. I'm beginning to wonder if I was misdiagnosed with genital warts, and actually have/had Vestibular papillomatosis? I had a few small, skin-tag like growths on the very outside of my vaginal opening. I noticed them because my vagina was becoming sore(my boyfriend at the time and I had intercourse quite frequently and he'd last a long time. Usually by the time he finished, my vagina was becoming dry and irritated). I thought I should check and make sure everything was okay down there, and that's when I noticed the bumps. I went to my doctor and he did took at look at them and said the skin just looked irritated, nothing to worry about. They became a big larger so I went back and he said he thought they resembled genital warts. He did an STI test as well and Pap smear, but prescribed Aldara that day. He also thought it looked like I had a yeast infection, so he prescribed me something for that as well. I never found out the exact results from the STI test(he never told me if I was positive for HPV, which I know causes warts) and the Pap test came back mildly abnormal, which he said was likely from the yeast infection. He never talked to me about the warts except for to say that if they were all cleared up, I would be fine to have protected intercourse. From what I've read online, the warts and HPV infection seem to be a lot more serious and would warrant more of a discussion. I have abstained from intercourse since the diagnose in January 2012 because I've been worried about it. I've continued to do research online myself and recently came across an article about Vestibular papillomatosis and how it is often misdiagnosed as genital warts. Could this have been what happened to me? Would Aldara have an affect on Vestibular papillomatosis and potentially clear it up? I'm confused and my family doctor really hasn't been much help, but I don't feel comfortable going to a clinic for more answers. Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.
You should post this question on the Doctor's Forum. It costs $25 but is better suited for your question than asking here.