Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Multiple HPV Infections

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Multiple HPV Infections

I am a gay male and I have had sex with about 80 men Apx.

Does having multiple HPV infections from all of these different men increase my risk of getting a HPV related cancer ?

Would the many HPV viruses overwhelm my immune system and increase my risk of cancer ?

Thanks.

This discussion is related to HPV, my life, what should I do?.
Some HPV infections, not all can persist for many years. Persistent infections with high-risk HPV types can lead to more serious cytologic abnormalities or lesions that, if untreated, may progress to cancer.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.
Thanks for your post.

So If I was infected with many HPV viruses, would they over load my immune system and increase my risk of cancer ?

have you considered getting an anal pap with hpv testing to see if you even have hpv?

did you get your gardasil hpv shots?

no, it' s not the multiple infections with hpv that increase your risk, it's the types of hpv you are infected with and if they persist more than 2 years that is the risk of leading to cancer.

grace
Because people have died from Gardasil.

How do you know that multiple HPV doesn't increase risk of cancer ?

Plus you never really get rid of them anyway do you, they lay dormant ?

no, people have not died from gardasil!!!    be careful of the nonsense you find online!!

how do I know that multiple hpv infections don't increase risk?  plenty of hpv info out there, especially within the last few years thanks to all the research from the gardasil shots that show that it's the type that  matters, not the number of infections.  

over 90% of folks have undetectable hpv infections within 2 years of being infected. if we can't detect it, it's not going to cause you issues.

if you are concerned for yourself, get the anal pap done with hpv testing to get better answers as to your status.
Well I will get the anal pap done.

I am in the UK.

I thought they couldn't detect HPV in men ?

So what are the chances of me getting Anal cancer or Oral do you think ?

I've had plenty of sex both ways.
they can detect hpv in males.  we just don't have commercially available tests to do so. anal paps are effective. to detect penile hpv infections, it involves rubbing the penis with rough paper to get cells off which is uncomfortable in general and not well received by most males. unfortunately the urine tests for hpv that are in development aren't all that great either.  

if you google the rates of hpv related oral cancers and anal cancers, you'll see that in general they are rather low thankfully. It's something to worry about only if you have a charmed life and nothing else to worry about.  

have you also sought out type specific herpes igg blood testing to know your status for herpes too? it's usually not a part of routine std testing in the UK.
Sorry for the late response.

I haven't been tested for Herpes no.

So an anal pap actually tests for HPV ? I thought it was just for abnormalities which can lead to cancer.

I'm charming ! but I don't really live a charmed life.
And can you test for oral HPV ?
Does oral sex easily transmit HPV ?
Thanks.
you can get swabbed orally for hpv if you want.  

you can also get hpv dna testing with the anal pap.  it would only detect hpv in the anal area though.

honestly, I wouldn't be worrying this much about all of this.