Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Negative HPV test but wart like bumps near vagina?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

So I noticed this bump below my vaginal hole about a year ago - at 1st i started freaking out and once when i had sex, the skin stretched and made it bleed - okay so i went to the dr last year and everything came out negative and it was pretty dumb in my part but i didnt mention anything about it, i got a full std testing/pap smear - everything INCLUDING hpv came out negative so i thought maybe its just a skin tag - but then i found out i was preggo about a month ago and went to the dr and she gave me a pap smear and std testing as well, still everything came out negative including HPV - so recently these last couple weeks, ive felt another bump but now inside the labia and it was itching and i scratched it and now when i pee it burns cause i scratched it... but im freaking out that i have genital warts, can you get genital warts even testing negative for HPV?
Yes. I am 6 months pregnant and have had 2 normal paps. About 3 months ago, I developed genital warts from dormant strains of HPV. My doctor said this is becoming common due to the cell changes your body is going through. Have you ever had an abnormal pap? At any time?? I had a few abnormal paps, was treated with a colposcopy (because I had strains on my cervix) but now the strains have surfaced. So I have 3 warts above my clitoris. They are treatable. I would go back to the doc, tell him/her what you are experiencing. This is treatable :)
If you were only tested for high risk strains that can cause cell changes/abnormal paps and not for the low risk strains that can cause warts then yes, you could have a negative but still be infected with HPV.

Make another appt. with the GYN and have them examine you and test for low risk HPV.
Yes, I believe you can. When I got diagnosed with external genital warts, they did a pap and general STD screening to see if there was anything else to worry about (high risk HPV on the cervix, etc). I got a negative pap even though I was having a full external outbreak. The only way to know is to have a doctor look at it.
I am 7 weeks prego and have like 4 very little wart looking bumps on my outer vagina lip. Its been there for like the last maybe 2 months .. Should i be worried ? Can i put wart ointment on there?