Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Negative results from colposcopy

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Negative results from colposcopy

I had a pap smear done that came back abnormal. Doctor said it could just be a yeast infection or something that caused the abnormal results and that there was some clear discharge in the results. She recommended a colposcopy to determine the cause. Went to a diff doctor for the colposcopy and he said it'd most likely be HPV and the colposcopy would show. When he called with results, he said everything came back negative, not even HPV changes. If everything came back negative - I do NOT have HPV correct?? He said just get another pap in a year like normal. The only reason I'm confused is before I went to him, I'd gone to a doctor (diff practice too) who I thought was gonna give the colposcopy but instead just took me in her office, said I had the virus and mild dysplasia (all she had was my faxed pap results) and they would schedule a colposcopy for later to see what level and whatnot it was...she said I'd get paps every four months till I had consistent normal ones. All of this diagnosis JUST from my faxed pap results. I didn't understand how she could make a diagnosis from a faxed pap before a colposcopy was done. The other info that didn't line up was that I've never had actual intercourse... Only VERY brief genital contact, etc with one partner but no intercourse. The second doctor I went to said after the colposcopy that everything looked normal but the results would show (as said, results were negative). He said looking at the pap results can be somewhat subjective and sometimes a cell may look abnormal when it's not. He would have made clear over the phone if the colposcopy/biopsy showed positive for HPV and would've recommended going in for a pap in 6 months right?
I'll add I'd recently had a UTI (within the previous month) and had just finished my period a day or so before the pap...
Sorry - lastly, I'll add my age - 25.
Did you talk to the docs about all these conflicting results?

You can test positive for HPV before a biopsy is done. This is how I found out I have HPV, I also found out I have high and low risk strains. The biopsy is used to determine what stage of dyplasia or cell changes you have. These are caused by high risk strains only.

Someone can have a history of HPV, once you have a strain you have it for life but the immune system clears it so that it is dormant, then you will no longer test positive for it even though you carry it for life. This means that you will not have symptoms or are able to transmit it to others. Most people never have more issues with the strain (s) but some do have flare ups.

Being a virgin doesn't mean you can't get HPV. It is transmitted via skin to skin contact and so grinding without clothes can result in transmission.

My feeling is that you don't have HPV, that most people with abnormal paps do and that they doc made an error when they told you that you did. I would trust the biopsy given the time window think your body couldn't have passed the symptoms and cleared the strain. I do think you should call the doc office, ask that all the docs notes be sent to you. Then with all of them in hand and understood by you make an appointment with the doc you most trust and have them go over all of it with you. You could request ahead of time that doc read the notes as well. Or have the doc read all the notes and know your concerns and see if a nurse can answer your questions. I found nurses to be very helpful.
I didn't wanna bring up the conflicting results initially I think because the second doc seemed to be great and wanted his uninfluenced diagnosis. I'd only been active at all for about 6 months... Pap in late June, results in July, colposcopy in August. Surely it wouldn't gave flared up and gone away between June and August? Also - if an HPV result came with my pap, my doctor surely wouldve told me herself and not said it couldve been a yeast infection or influenced by the discharge they'd found? Lastly - the colposcopy doc wouldve given me more info (what kinda strain), precautions or something over the phone, in person after (never had to go back) or mail if I had a strain right? He wouldn't have just said over the phone that everything came back negative and just get a pap in a year right? Is this all sensible?? Thanks for your answers!
The only way it could flare and then be dormant in that time frame is if you had it noticed at the very end of the flare up. I would think this isn't what happened and that you never had a strain because the testing says so. I would still follow up with a nurse or the last doc just so you don't have doubts.

Either way you should trust the last results that as of now you are fine and move forward knowing how to protect yourself from all STD's in the future. :)
You do not have HPV. If you had an HPV test you should have been told, but you can also find this out by looking at your insurance records or your bill to see what you paid for.You should find out what your pap result was. An ASCUS result means that some of the cells are "atypical" so they can't determine if they are normal or not  (this is what he meant by being subjective--all pap tests are subjective); usually they do an HPV test with an ASCUS result. The problem with this is that ASCUS could mean normal and sometimes the HPV result shows positive when it is not--it is not a 100% reliable. That is why they want to do a copolscopy, then they will know for sure. If your pap result indicated LILS, which means "low grade squamous intrapithelial cells"--the thought by some Gyn's is that this automatically means HPV and this is not true. There are old studies that suggest this. So, it is important to find out what your result was and get a copy of it for your records (remember, no matter what the result was--you now know it is normal and the result was an overcall by the pathologist or cytopathologist). Often these Pap results are done by computer and the liquid Pap tests are also known for their inaccuracy--they pick up inflammation that does not mean anything. The Dr. that told you you had mild dysplasis could not know this from a Pap result. There is no current protocol that says Paps every four months. With an ASCUS result, they usually do an HPV test and if positive then a colposcopy (this makes the OB/Gyn more money) but it is equally acceptable to have a follow up Pap in 6 months and 12 months or a Pap and HPV test in a year. With a LSIL result they usually suggest a colposcopy but it usually clears up in 6-12 months. Other items of importance from your post, it would be very unusual to get HPV without sexual contact, especially brief genital contact. Additionally, most infections under the age of thirty are transient and clear up on their own. The fact that your colposcopy was normal means you have nothing to worry about and you only need a Pap in one year. And next time you have a Pap, do not do it around your period as blood or inflammation may appear on the slide which could skew the results. Try and scheduele it two weeks after the first day of your last period. Good Luck.
Have an HPV question?
100,000+ doctor answers