Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
No sex 2 weeks BEFORE L.E.E.P.?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

No sex 2 weeks BEFORE L.E.E.P.?

Hello, I have a question preferably for health professionals. I have mild dysplasia which I am assuming is caused by high-risk HPV, although in all honesty I don't think I was ever actually tested for the virus. Normally my doctor would just monitor me with more frequent Paps, but the colposcopy/biopsy revealed that the mild changes are closer to the ECC, so I am having a LEEP done on August 24th. I am in a long-term monogamous relationship and my boyfriend and I are moving in together next week, and I am on the birth control pill.

I know I have to abstain from sex for 4 weeks after the procedure, and I have come to terms with that (with lots of difficulty because we have an amazing sex life together...). However, on the phone today, my doctor has told me I have to stop having intercourse by August 9th! She said her only concern is that I will get pregnant and with less then two weeks past conception, the urine test they will administer before the procedure (to make sure I am not pregnant, as is routinely done and was done before my colposcopy) will not pick up pregnancy hormones.

People, I am the most anal retentive Pill taker of anyone I know. I take it at the exact same second every single day, and the few times I have taken it maybe 30 minutes late, I freak out for the rest of the month. No joke. But the point is, if pregnancy is all she is worried about (and it is - I asked if sex could make the dysplasia worse and she said no), then why abstain from sex if I will be protected (99.7% likely NOT to get pregnant)? Also, not that this is neither here nor there, but if I do get pregnant right now I probably will not choose to carry to term because I'm not ready to be a mother at this juncture.

Is there anything I'm missing here? I just don't see why I should abstain more than 24-48 hours before the procedure. I want to do it as much as I can BEFORE this month long drought (and possible decrease in sex drive for months that I've unfortunately read about)! Can any professionals shine some light on this?