Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
No sex 2 weeks BEFORE L.E.E.P.?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

No sex 2 weeks BEFORE L.E.E.P.?

Hello, I have a question preferably for health professionals. I have mild dysplasia which I am assuming is caused by high-risk HPV, although in all honesty I don't think I was ever actually tested for the virus. Normally my doctor would just monitor me with more frequent Paps, but the colposcopy/biopsy revealed that the mild changes are closer to the ECC, so I am having a LEEP done on August 24th. I am in a long-term monogamous relationship and my boyfriend and I are moving in together next week, and I am on the birth control pill.

I know I have to abstain from sex for 4 weeks after the procedure, and I have come to terms with that (with lots of difficulty because we have an amazing sex life together...). However, on the phone today, my doctor has told me I have to stop having intercourse by August 9th! She said her only concern is that I will get pregnant and with less then two weeks past conception, the urine test they will administer before the procedure (to make sure I am not pregnant, as is routinely done and was done before my colposcopy) will not pick up pregnancy hormones.

People, I am the most anal retentive Pill taker of anyone I know. I take it at the exact same second every single day, and the few times I have taken it maybe 30 minutes late, I freak out for the rest of the month. No joke. But the point is, if pregnancy is all she is worried about (and it is - I asked if sex could make the dysplasia worse and she said no), then why abstain from sex if I will be protected (99.7% likely NOT to get pregnant)? Also, not that this is neither here nor there, but if I do get pregnant right now I probably will not choose to carry to term because I'm not ready to be a mother at this juncture.

Is there anything I'm missing here? I just don't see why I should abstain more than 24-48 hours before the procedure. I want to do it as much as I can BEFORE this month long drought (and possible decrease in sex drive for months that I've unfortunately read about)! Can any professionals shine some light on this?
Have an HPV question?
100,000+ doctor answers