Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Normal Sex Life

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Normal Sex Life

Is it possible to have a normal sex life living with HPV? and since its just comming popular to the light now is it possible that more have been infected for years?  
Aprrox. 85% of women will be infected with HPV in their lifetimes.  HPV is pretty much inevitable in this day and age if you are with 3+ people who have had other partners as well.  Most people clear HPV before they even know they have it (particularly asymptomatic men, as there is no detection test).  After I was diagnosed with a low risk strain of HPV I elected to not engage in sexual activity until I had been asymptomatic for 6+ months, but that is solely because I did not want to go through the repeated pain of disclosing over and over again while in a contagious state.  This was just the right decision for me (I needed a break from dating for many other reasons), and may not be for someone else.  I have had friends who were infected with HPV and have gone on to have many partners immediately after diagnosis, and who led very fulfilling sex lives.  Their partners were usually rarely phased by the fact they had HPV as well.  A normal sex life with an STI is absolutely possible, it's more how YOU feel about it than anything else.
A professor of mine years ago in college had the best definition of normal..what is right for u that does not cause harm to u or another!i like that!I think this question is an individual matter based on ones age,if ur in a good caring relationship and if ur out there in the dating/mating game of life.For myself at age 52 approaching 53 my primary concern is what std could another partner bring to me.I have the high risk HPV had a LEEP and post op healing was a month long and messy.I do not want to undergo this again or get another std,i don't care how prevalent HPV is.I've never had multiple partners,always used condoms or been in a monogomous rels-i b-lieved-and had 10 years celibacy,got re-involved didn't use a condom based on what partner told me which was a BIG error!If ur not hooked up by age 40 with a good partner it is a difficult challenging world out there for  the dating game.Most of the men my age want multiple partners and no committment to a mature honest relationship.This is not my gig!So i have many things in life that make me happy and will pursue them.The Best 2 u!
It is quite possible to have a normal sex life with HPV. I was diagnosed with it 17years ago- I truly believe that finding one partner to be with is the key to all of this. Having one partner makes it less risky for you and more loving and safe for both of you. I find having love in my life better than all the dating I did. I am thankful for my loving and understanding partner I have now. But it took me a very long time to get this. you will be Okay
so glad u have found a loving understanding partner....a treasure!a rare find in this culture today...may u cherish each other and stay 2gether!
I just wanted to ask your opinion on telling someone that I'm dating about having hpv and herpes type 1. I tested positive for hpv 2 years ago, had the cells frozen and have tested negative for 2 years. I was just diagnosted with herpes type 1. Due to the fact that my boyfriend at the time must've had a soar in his mouth and didn't say anything and gave me oral. Thank god i don't have it genitally it showed up as a rash on my lower back and the dr. said it will probably never come back. So...I really like this guy a lot and want to be totally honest but am scared to death of how he's going to take it. It wasn't fair that my husband at the time was cheating on me and gave me hpv and my boyfriend gave me herpes. I don't want to rob this new guy of what was taken from me (freedom of choice). So...if you could please shed some light on how to talk with him about it with out freaking him out. I know he isn't going to like hearing this and i'm scared.