Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Please help very confused!!!

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Please help very confused!!!

I was recently told i have genital warts!! I have only been with my wife!  She has cheated on me but after i was told i had them she went and had a pap and blood work and tested for hpv and her results came back as negative!!!! How????? If i caught them!!!!!! Please help me!!!!
The answer is her body cleared the virus due to a very strong immune system. She's lucky. Doctors do not know if this is permanent or not. Some think its clings to DNA forever with the possibility of being positive someday. Some think your body rids itself of the virus after 6-24 months. The CDC says its forever but they don't really know. It takes on avg 6-8 months from the time of infection for someone to get warts. So she must have infected you that long ago. Some take much less time but most fall in the average. That she is negative now does not mean she doesn't still have some small amount of the virus in her body. All it means is that the virus is at such low levels that the tests she took cannot detect the virus. She still has it too, IMO. GYNs tell women that they are negative and most never become positive again, but some do years later even if they never have sex again. If she were to someday get a re-occurrence, it would be from the strain that she had. Get rid of your active warts asap and within 6-24 months of no more warts, you should be OK to have sex again. Most people wait 6 months, but the Doctors Forum says 3 months. If you cannot wait that long to have sex, wear a condom to reduce the odds of having the warts return during the first 6 months post warts. Given that you two are married, you can have unsafe sex (after the warts are gone) because you cannot ping pong the same strain to each other as you are no longer infectious to each other. That is my opinion based on everything I have read online about this STD. I know my advice may sound crazy but the one thing I have learned about this virus is that there are still many unanswered questions about it including yours.