Probability for low risk hpv to come up in pap smear test
Hi,  I recently was diagnosed with Genital warts, my g/f said it couldn't be her b/c she's never had any abnormal paps and then dumped me... I was however under the impression that low risk hpv strains rarely if ever show up in paps, because they dont cause abnormalities of the cervix typically but you could have an infection in the surrounding mucosal membrane and never be aware of it because its not visible. My question is how frequently are wart causing strains of hpv picked up in paps, or are all wart hpv diagnosis virtually done by visual inspection.  Do paps most frequently pick up high risk hpv infections while typically missing the ones that cause warts.  I dont think it was my previous gf because we were together for 3 years and i was the second person she had ever slept with, and I  developed the symptoms 2 months after being with my current ex. thanks so much for your thoughts and input
wart causing strains have nothing to do w/ PAPs and don't affect the cervix (that's high risk) and you can have a normal PAP and be positive for high risk hpv..your ex could've had the low risk strain and never had symptoms..sometimes ppl don't show symptoms.