Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Re-exposure of partner

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Re-exposure of partner

I had a short-term relationship three years ago that left me with HPV. I did not know that I had it for about 8 months. I became involved with someone else and a few months later the HPV showed itself. The first person confessed. I had three surgeries to remove the warts inside and out, ad the lesions on my cervix. The second relationship continued, but after two years we parted because he wanted to marry and I did not.

He never showed any symptoms of having contracted HPV and still has not (a total of almost three years since initial contact). I assumed he had, but all of the literature says that after about 14 months current theory is his immune system either shrugged it off or it passed through...but is that 14 months after initial exposure or 14 months after final exposure?

So. We were apart for some time. Now he is saying he wants to get back together. My question is this: is his risk of contracting it from me the same as if he were a totally new person, or does he have an immunity to the particular types of the virus I carry?

at this point, the two of you ping ponging hpv back and forth isn't an issue.

make sure you both cover all other std testing bases, including herpes igg blood testing too.

grace
oh yes, testing, of course. This question is part of all that. i was just wondering if the virus mutates in a new host, or if with the passage of time his immune system had changed enough that it would not recognize it as something it already had encountered.

İ need to feel sure as İ can that  İ am not making things worse in terms of this illness.

you won't make a hpv infection "worse" if you already have that type and get exposed to it again. was that what you were thinking?
It's not about me. It's about him. I like to make informed decisions. It is my responsibility. Thanks for your help. :)
He has been infected too. That he didn't get warts only means that his immune system was strong enough to prevent them. Not that it was strong enough to not get infected, IMO. Given your history, he is someone whom you can have an unsafe sex life with because you cannot ping pong it back and forth. There is no immunity to it. Rather he has what you have or had.