Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Reoccurance or new infection

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Reoccurance or new infection

In the early 90's I had mild dysplasia, I did not have an HPV test but assume based on all the research I have done that this was caused by HPV.  8 years ago I had an HPV test as part of infertility treatment, and this came back negative, I did not have HPV at that time.  I have had another occurrence of mild dysplasia, could this be caused by the original infection or is this a new infection?  I have been in a monogamous relationship for 25 years, and I have seen where HPV can have a long incubation period before symptoms occur, but would it be detectable during that time?  Also, where the info I have seen talks about HPV clearing up usually within 2 years, would the dysplasia appear that quickly as I thought it only appeared after long exposure?
From what I've read, it seems possible that an old HPV can reactivate after having been dormant for awhile. I believe it's rare but can happen.  How old are you if I may ask?
I also had mild dysplasia 11 years ago without a hpv test. I actually asked for the test and was told no by my MD and he said I didn't have it. Being young I didn't question. I had 2 leeps and have had years of normal paps. I was unfortunately diagnosed with hsv 2 in June and then hpv with mild dysplasia in November. My MD told me that she feels this is a new hpv infection since I had so many years of normal paps and new research shows that the body can get rid of the virus. But I've also read that some believe it goes dormant and can return if the immune system is effected which mine has been. My ex who gave me hsv2 cheated on me earlier this year with a 21 yr old and hpv is more common in that age group so who knows. Hope we get some answers soon. In the meantime I'm going to work on trying to help out my immune system to help it fight the dysplasia. Good luck!
42 when it was diagnosed as mild dysplasia.  I've heard it can come back as well, but where I'm confused is whether the HPV test will find it if it is "dormant".  I also have had normal paps every since 94, and my follow-up has also cleared up 6mths later.  HPV does clear up pretty quickly for most people from what I've read, and only causes dysplasia in a small number of cases, so I'm not sure why I'm getting it now after so long.  

I've seen comments where it can come back or flare up or whatever it does after 6/7 years from the original infection, and even as much as 10-20 years in very rare cases, but the original infection would have been 25 years ago from before I met my husband or from him at the beginning of our relationship.  From everything I've read, and given the clear HPV test 8 years ago, it just doesn't make sense that this is an old infection unless I'm missing something.
thanks, and good luck to you!!!