Risk of spreading HPV to wife and immunosuppression
I am a 34 yr. old male and had a heart transplant when I was 21 yrs. old.  I noticed the development of genital warts after my surgery.  It has been a continual struggle to remove the warts permanently.  I have tried freezing, and condolyx. How does immunosuppression affect the treatment of the warts?

Also, I am married and have been with my spouse for 5 years.  She is concerned about getting cervical cancer, genital warts, and warts in the mouth if we have oral sex. She gets annual pap exams and they have been negative. Is there significant risk that she could get HPV and warts? Should we avoid oral sex?

Thank you.
You and your wife actually share the same strain of hpv. Many many people have hpv and the occurrence of genital warts totally depends on the immune system's ability to fight infection. Basically, your wife already has the hpv strain that you have but her immune system deals with it nicely. As for her paps, chances are she is not actually being tested for hpv and even if she were- an hpv test will only return a positive result for an ACTIVE infection. It will never detect a strain of hpv that has gone dormant or that has "cleared." Also the low risk (wart causing) strains of hpv will not cause cervical cancer in women so your wife need not be too concerned about that. While there is a link between hpv and oral warts and oral cancer, it doesn't happen often and you shouldn't go out of your way trying to avoid something that in all probability will never occur otherwise.

As for your recurrence of warts, perhaps you could benefit from beefing up your immune system? There are also a number of herbal antivirals you can take to help fight infection. Biogetica, Viralfree, just to name a couple. Do the research, read some reviews online. Also, I am reading this wonderful book "90-Day Immune System Makeover" by Janet Maccaro, in the hopes of treating my own hpv infection. Perhaps it is something you could benefit from as well.

Good luck!