Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Sex life with HPV

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Sex life with HPV

Today I found out that I have genital warts.  They are small and black and I barely even noticed them.  The doctor I saw at the clinic first identified the anomalies with vinegar.  She then proceeded to treat the warts with what I believe was liquid nitrogen, an excruciating experience.  I have informed my partner, and she appears supportive ... but the truth is I don't know what this will mean for our relationship now that we will be prevented from having sex for at least a couple years until the virus clears.

The information on sex-life with HPV is incredibly conflicting.  The doctor who identified the warts told me that a condom over the warts (on the shaft) will protect against any transmission to my partner.  Mos websites I have visited however stress that HPV can be transmitted even from skin-to-skin contact in areas where warts are not present.  

My questions are as follows:

1.) Should I find out exactly which strain of HPV I have so that I know the likelihood of transmitting a potentially cancerous strain to my partner?  Is this information even possible?

2.) Can my partner have any type of sex-life now?  I mean, is there any information about we can and can't do?

3.) Once my warts have been removed, how long should I expect to wait before having a normal sex-life again?  Most information seems to suggest that one should wait at least two years before engaging in sexual activity, can someone confirm this?

Thank you ...
I just had my warts removed and I know the pain. I'm sorry you had to go thru that. Good thing is that is was caught.
Now about your sex life. While they are being treated I wouldn't have sex. If you had the treatment I think you did they should turn white. For me it did and it hurt to clean up after going to them bathroom.
Take some time and educate yourself and your partner before jumping into bed to ease worry.
You still can have a healthy sex life. Now and for the rest of your life. Hpv is very common.
If you only share one partner and its a mutual thing,  ( from what my Dr told me ) pass the same stran back and forth until it rids itself and falls dorment.
Take care of your health and make sure your partner does to. Get paps done regularly. Eat healthy. Stop smoking and drinking and look into multi vitamins. And when it comes to sex,  wear protection. I hope some of this helped bit please seek a Dr to better explain.
Yes, find out the strain. Have all or one of the warts removed and biopsied for the strain(s).  Do not have sex untilt they are gone for at least 3 months. Some say 6 months, some say 2 years.  IMO, 3 months is enough. Condoms offer maybe 50% protection but if you've already had unsafe sex with your partner, then she has it too. The only reason to use a condom to prevent re-occurrence during the recovery period after the warts are removed since condoms have been found to reduce the chances of more warts. After that, it does not matter since she has it too. You and her cannot pass the virus back and forth to each other. If both of you lead healthy lives, then the virus will go dormant. Stop smoking, reduce booze intake, exercise, get more rest, avoid stress somehow, take vitamins that are specific towards immune system boosting and eat healthy. Not only will your stronger immune system fight this virus, you will look and feel better too! It is not the end of the world, really.