Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Should i get Cryotherapy done?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Should i get Cryotherapy done?

I am 19 yrs old and had a colposcopy almost a week ago. My doctor told me I have cervical displasia and low grade hpv. I am waiting for the results of the biopsy and the doc told me once she gets the results we will discuss if there is a need to treat the dysplasia with cryotherapy or just leave it alone. The biopsy was very uncomfortable for me even though it only lasted a few seconds while the biopsy was being performed. But now I am freaking out about Cryotherapy. The more I read about it and read about other people's experiences, the more scared I get. I don't really deal with pain very well and am torn b/w getting the procedure done or just leaving it and hoping the leisons go away on its own. After the colposcopy and biopsy I guess from the nerves I started getting really hot and had nausea and I've still been having slight cramping. I've read other's stories and how it hurts from jogging, intercourse and orgasm but does that ever go away or do you experience pain down there always? Is this procedure beneficial and worth the discomfort from the procedure or should I just not get it. I know it's ultimately up to me but I really need comments on women who have been through this already. My doc said and what i've read is that the leisons can heal on it's own if your immune system is strong It's like any vaccine you get,your body gets immune to the virus and you never get it again-it's the same with HPV. So I have started to eat a balanced diet with foods high in antioxidants but I don't know if I should just keep eating right and boost my immune system with vitamins and herbal teas or just get the procedure done. CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT ON THIS ONE???
Hi Nata,

Don't be so worried! I remember going thru the same feelings before I had cryo done. I mean, it may be a little different for me b/c im a guy, but it's not as bad as what some ppl on the internet make it out to be. I'm guessing they're telling those lies to get you to buy some creams or whatever. The truth is, is that it does hurt slightly. You'll feel some discomfort for the first few days, but it's not going to be excrutiating pain or anything close to that. You might feel a slight burning sensation. As for jogging, you should be alright. But as for sex, I wouldn't do that until a week or two later (with a condom) when the area is all healed. So, cryo with a good lifestyle will help you curb HPV. Once you've had no reoccurenece for 6-8 months, then its safe to assume that the virus has become dormant...that is until your immune system weakens for whatever reason.
Thank you for your input. I'm hoping it's not that bad and I have no complications from it. Did you by any chance have a biopsy done as well? For me it was uncomfortable when they took the biopsy. Planely, it hurt and I am hoping the discomfort from the cryotherapy is maybe the same or less than of getting a biopsy. From what I've read on these medical websites you should abstain from sexual activity for at least 3 weeks and even then I've read on here that women experience extremely painful cramping while having intercourse or orgasming so that is scary. But as you said about having no reoccurences and healthy lifestyle, that is why I want to have this procedure done because I am thinking if I get rid of w/e leisons I have I can boost my immune system by eating healthy and taking supplements so that my body gets immune to the virus and it becomes dormant.

Again thank you for your comment. It was helpful
No problem! I wish I would've found this site earlier this year when I started treatments. But, I can't see it hurting any more than your biopsy nor you having any complications at all. It's an extemely effective procedure. And, the longer you abstain from sex the better..but if you come into a situation where you did, use a condom. And, as for the cramping, I wouldn't know b/c im a guy, but I cannot see how having a wart removed would cause cramping in ANY situation, even when climaxing! So, rest easy, it's not all that bad as a lot of ppl make it out to be. And, you'll be relieved once the warts are gone in a few months or maybe less!   : )
Oh, and I've never had to have a biopsy..sorry i didn't answer that!
Yes I'm hoping that after this procedure I won't have a reoccurance of the leisons so there is less to worry about. Life is stressful and worrysome on its own and when you add a medical issue, it makes it worse....Well the reason for cramping is becuase of female reproductive organs. When a women is menstruating, it affects her uterus and causes it to cramp thus women experience cramps I'm not quite sure which reproductive organ is causing the cramping but I know it has to be either the ovaries, uterus, or cervix which is the very beginning of the uterus after the vaginal opening. The leisons I have are on the cervix which from my understanding is why a woman would experience cramping. It has to do with our hormones and internal female organs. And when I read about someone having extreme cramps from climaxing I think it's probably becuase the cervix is still healing from the cryotherapy its like raw skin from getting cut, if you mess with it, it's going to hurt But I'm guessing from stimulation to the cervix  that is still healing is what caused her to to experience cramps. And this website is awesome I just to happened to stumble upon it when doing research on hpv and I'm grateful I did With all of the different communities it's way easier and more comfortable to find and talk to people who have the same situations where otherwise people would be embarassed to talk about.
Ohhh, I see..thanks for clarifying. Well, then your best bet is to abstain from sex for as long as you can, well past your final treatment. I hope you don't experience any of those complications, but I'm sure you wont. As for this forum, I definately agree! It's been a good community and it helps a lot knowing there are others out there like you and that you're not alone : )

Good luck!
Exactly! & thank you for yoru words of encouragement