Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Single Oral Exposure to HPV-16
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Single Oral Exposure to HPV-16

Hi All,

I asked this in the STD forum but my post was way too long. Posting the tl;dr version here.

Facts of my case:
• Single episode of mutual oral sex with friend (girl); I'm almost exclusively worried about my oral exposure via cunnilingus
• Find out later she previously had HPV diagnosis, but has had several "clear" paps
• 2 months after exposure, found out she had abnormal pap, was diagnosed with HPV-16
• Colposcopy showed NO dysplasia or abnormal cells

Can anyone give me insight into:
• Whether HPV is less transmissible in the absence of cervical lesions (dysplasia)?
• An educated guess as to the "per act" transmissibility of HPV-16 from vagina to mouth? The docs say "low" (sometimes adding "5% or less", some resources online say "close to 100%". This is driving me nuts.
• If I am infected, regardless of whether I ultimately "clear it", how likely am I to spread HPV orally to someone else's vagina? I'd be somewhat relieved if the burden of worry was simply for MY future health, not future sex partners

Thanks all.
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I should add that there are a couple studies (like this one: http://www.livescience.com/16665-hpv-transmission-rates-20-percent.html) which show a "relatively" low transmission rate in couples after 6 months. That would SEEM to indicate per-act transmission is lower than what some sources claim.

Hopefully someone out there is as obsessive about this as I am and can lend me some insight.

Thanks in advance!
Blank
1.  Yes. Less transferrable.

2.No clue.  This is impossible to guess.

3. Stop the paranoia. Get some mental health help.
Blank
Thanks for the virtual 'slap'. I'll take it.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank