Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Transmitting Genital Warts

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Transmitting Genital Warts

My boyfriend and I had not had sex for the past three weeks because I had found a small genital wart between my vagina and anus.
The doctor had told me when I'd gone and had it checked out the day after I found it, that my boyfriend will have it as well. (Not warts but the virus). He never gave me any instructions on whether or not to have sex or anything regarding sex with my boyfriend at all.
This past weekend (yesterday) we had sex for the first time in three weeks, although I am now worried that he may get warts, even though he has never actually noticed any before. Since I have heard that many people have it, and don't ever know they do (mostly men because they get warts more rarely than women), I decided that it may be okay to do it once. Was this a mistake?

Im a horrible worrier.
What is done is done and because you were intimate prior to your finding your wart then you was already exposed. While warts are very contagious there is no way to know if he has been exposed to the same HPV strain you are currently having warts from, if he is going to now get warts from exposure to you. I have warts right now and we are chosing these ways to be safe, condoms, no oral and careful touching ourselves and each others genitals. He doesn't have any warts, I have known I have them for a month and had my third acid treament today. Once your wart (s) are gone and 3 to 6 months have passed you can go back to normal sexually activities without concern.

You and he have to decide what is best for you together. Genitals warts are simply a skin condition just like warts on fingers, though not the same strain of HPV causes both types.