Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Vaginal Cyst and HPV

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Vaginal Cyst and HPV

I am a 44 yr old white female. My Gyn said that the vaginal cyst I found is a benign cyst and he could remove if it causes me discomfort.  However on an MRI scan what was done last week (along with an abdominal MRI for eval of large septated kidney cyst with enhancing septa).  On the pelvic scan, the radiologist recommended biopsy.  Here is what the report says regarding this cyst in particular: At the posterolateral wall of the distal vagina at the level of the pelvic floor there is a well defined lesion on the left side that measures 22mm in length X 17mm in width.  On T2 it is heterogeneous hypointense to hyperintense.  ON T1 it is hypointense after contrast administration it enhances avidly.  There is mild heterogeneity of what appears to be some internal linear hypointensity possibly septations.  This causes extrinsic impression on the vaginal mucosa.  It dos not appear to extend into the vaginal canal.  There is no apparent spread.  The paravaginal and rectovaginal fat is clear.
Conclusion: The vaginal at the posterolateral wall demonstrates a well-defined enhancing lesion.  This is not consistent with a simple bartholin gland cyst; however, this may represent secondary involvement of the bartholin glad with a tumor.  This should be biopsied for complete evaluation.

My Gyn has seen the report and still does not think that it is cancerous. The cyst is hard and rubbery feeling and is actually protruding through the vaginal wall somewhat.  He said that he would remove it when I schedule my hysterectomy that he was going to do because of the irregular bleeding and chronic pelvic pain that I have had for several years.  

I did some reasearch on vaginal cysts and found that there is a link between some types of HPV and vaginal cysts.  This caused me to recall the fact that I had in 1982 what my doctor then called veneral warts.  He told me that it was a curable STD (I contracted from my husband at the time).  He froze them off and said that that was it and I had nothing to worry about.  That was 26 years ago and HPV wasn't heard of back then. I have also read that benign vaginal tumors ar uncommon. Now I have this vaginal lump and the suspect MRI and I am worried even though my gyn is not.  

Do I have HPV? Should I be tested? Should I be more worried about this than my gyn is? I don't remember if I ever told him that I had veneral warts. If I tell him, should his opinion resonalbly change? Should I get a second opinion? What type of doctor would I see if not a gyn? What is your impression based on the information I have provided?  

Any MD professional medical opinions appreciated. Thanks.
-8 Comments Post a Comment
Much of the information you gave in the first paragraph is far too advanced and too much medical jargon for me.  I would suggest having your doctor explain this to you.

If you had warts many, many years ago and haven't had a recurrence since, chances are this has absolutely nothing to do with genital warts.  HPV infection is not permanently contagious and symptomatic, eventually the body's immune system beats it- usually within an average of 8 months.  Also, genital warts are in no way cancerous.  The type of HPV which cause cancer are high risk strains and do not cause genital warts.  The strains that cause genital warts are low risk strains, which don't lead to cancer.  I would keep seeing a gynecologist, but if you do not trust this one, see another.  You HAD HPV, but I would say you're "cured" (see Dr. HHH's information about this concept in the expert forums).

If you can't discuss this with your doctor, I'd suggest paying the $15 and posting in the expert forum (regarding your cyst).  But I wouldn't worry about HPV at all in this case, personally.  This is just my two cents though, and I'm not an expert.  If you are worried, seek a second opinion.