Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Vinegar use in Colposcopy
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Vinegar use in Colposcopy

If during a colposcopy the Dr sprays vinegar on the cervix and the cells turn white, does only that indicate the presence of abnormal cells or can it also guarantee the presence of HPV??
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
the vinegar test can show false postives..it cannot guarantee the prescence of HPV cells.During my colposcopy a solution was used the name i can't recall now that was orangeish-red better staining the dysplastic cells on the cervix.
Blank
that's what I though, what is the rate of false positives using this method, would you happen to know??  Also, what other factors can cause mild dysplasia of the cervix to occur?
Blank
according to Drs.Hook and Handsfield the rate of false positives can be very high with this method.I am 53.My mother took a drug called DES in 1953 prior to having me.A high rate of cervical cancers has been found in the daughters of the mothers since.The drug was banned in 1971 by the FDA.I had a cervical conization in 1983 and my gyno then thought the DES may have been a culprit in this.So when do u get ur colpo results?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank