Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Wart or bump? Vinegar test accurate?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Wart or bump? Vinegar test accurate?

I have a doctor appointment in two weeks. I'm losing a lot of sleep and I'm hardly eating as a result of this:

A week ago I noticed a small pimple-like bump on the lower right side of my labia majora during my maintenance down there. I thought it could be an ingrown hair, but kept an eye on it and about 4 days ago it turned into what looked like a skin tag. Now it has flattened out a bit. It's soft and skin-colored, and shaped like a flattened out skin tag. It's about 3/4 the width of a pencil eraser. It does not have any of the cauliflower texture I see in google images. There's also an additional bump on my left labia majora. It's more of a small raised area that may have been there before and perhaps now I'm just noticing it because of the other bump.

I found in many forums that doctors supposedly use white vinegar to find the location of possible genital warts. I wasn't sure if this was true, but I tried it. I held white vinegar to these spots for 5 minutes and ... nothing. Still flesh-toned. Does this mean it isn't likely to be a wart? Or could it still be?

I've been married 6 years in a couple of weeks. If this is HPV, does this mean someone went outside of the marriage? Could this have been dormant all that time? I know I'm jumping ahead of myself.

And if it has just now manifested itself, can he break out as a result of this and we'll ping pong this back and forth?

Look at my pics to see what my warts look like. Do not assume anything til you see your doc.

At first my warts looked like skin tabs to me. They never turned white with a vinegar test and I have read that is not a test you can rely on for correct results. Once I started my acid treatment I was able to see other warts I didn't even know were there and they took on more of the cauliflower appearance but then the treatment would kill off the smaller ones. Also where I had my first warts they spread across to skin on the other side of my vaginal opening just from the skin touching. This may be why you are finding yours in both spots as well.

As for your questions about your marriage. There is not a lot known about HPV and so there are some basics but there are exceptions to every rule. Warts are caused by a low risk strain and cell changes are caused by high risk strains. People can have HPV dormant for many years without symptoms then something like stress or immune system issues cause a change. Warts are often from a new exposure but that doesn't mean that yours mean that your hubby has cheated. You both share the same strains but you having them doesn't mean he will. Still it is good to use condoms to try and prevent this. Once you both share a strain you can't bounce it back and forth. Symptoms usually go away within 24 months. Again if these are warts, which until you have them confirmed you don't know and if this is a flare up from an old exposure then that rule still applies, with our without treatment they should pass within 2 years, maybe sooner. I just finished 4 weeks of acid treatments and will now start an rx.

Regardless of how and who, HPV is very common and most sexually active adults will have it at some point in life. It is rare that it will cause any serious health issues. Yearly paps are very important.