Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Warts and Gential(genital) warts

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Warts and Gential(genital) warts

I noticed i had a wart on my stomach.  Its been there for awhile and I didn't think anything of it, then it spread to my elbow.  Same looking bumps on my elbow and stomach that wont go away.  I never went to a doctor until I saw the same type of wart on the shaft of my penis. When I went to the doctor he confirmed my stomach and elbow was indeed warts.  I never told him about my penis because he said i could use OTC salycic acid to cure my warts.  Then online I read don't use OTC for warts on the genitals?  Could I suddenly have a std, or is it just warts spread from my stomach and elbow to my penis?  I have been with one girl for 2 years now.  This wart on my shaft appeared a couple months ago?  Will OTC meds cure the wart on my penis?
Warts on your genitals are from a different strain of the HPV virus than warts on your elbow or stomache. The ones on the elbow or other areas are usually not sexually transmitted, that's why there so common in children. However, warts in the genitals are caused by a sexually transmitted strain. You either got this from your girlfriend or from a previous sex partner.

Don't panic, even if you did get it from your long term partner, it doesn't mean she cheated. She could of had the virus years ago, but up untill now it was laying dormant in her system and you only just caught it. Or, you could of caught it at the start of the relationship but only just showed symptoms because you were stressed or ill. The other option is you had it before but never showed symptoms, and your girlfriend has caught it but she is asymptomatic/hasn't showed symptoms yet. Sometimes the warts are so tiny you can't even see them.

As the wart on your genitals is from a different strain than the wart on your elbow, the medicine needed to treat it is different. Medicine for common warts is not suitible for genital warts as it may cause scarring and other side effects. There is also no scientific evidence it can actually treat the wart.

You'll need to get this bump seen to, as it may be something harmless.