Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
What are the real pros and cons to cryosurgery?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Ok about a year ago i went to a "girl" doctor for the first time and was dignosed with Chlamydia and mild dysplasia. My boyfriend and I have gotten rid of the chlyamydia, but my hpv won't go away. I have been searching all night and found that smoking can be a reason it won't go away, is that true? i smoke maybe a pack a week so not that often can it still be a factor? also my doctor said since the hpv is sticking around and that  it is not confined to one area of my cervix that she suggests I should undergo cryosurgery. I know that it is freezing of the first couple layers of the cervix to kill the cancerous cells but i have read mixed opinions about long term affects. One web site said that it could hurt my chances of getting pregnant later in life and another said it was perfectly safe. Lastly, i want to know about transmission. My boyfriend and i have been together as long as i have known i have had it and he's the only one i've had sex with. Is it possible he could be re-infecting me? I just want some real anwsers about cryosurgery and my mild dysplasia please?
let me provide you descriptive answers to you questions:

- Smoking causes our immune system to go down thus resulting late healing of hpv infections... hpv is known to be a causitive factor of many cancers for smokers... the best you can do is quit smoking and adopt a healthy lifestye to help your immune system fight off the virus...

- if you've had sex with your current partner, it is most likely that he has already acquired the same hpv strain... but in men this causes no symptoms and no serious health related issues... still he can spread it to other partners... but he can not reinfect you... if you get one strain of this virus once, you can't ever get that again so there is even no need of protection (condoms) having sex...  but your should avoid intercourse while your treatment is going on so that help your treatment go well...

- usually the cases of mild dysplasia are not treated as soon those are detected/ diagnosed... doctors adopt the wait and see strategy to confirm whether your body can get rid of these at their own... almost all the infections caused by hpv resolve and clear theirselves within a period of 6-24 months... but for smokers and people having weaker immune system it can take longer...

- Cryotherapy is a commonly prescribed treatment for warts, in which
tissue is frozen with super-cold liquid or gas (liquid nitrogen) via a cryoprobe....
This procedure is used both for external warts and for warts on the cervix or
other internal tissue... After treatment, the outer layer of tissue forms a blister
and eventually breaks off from the deeper layers, taking most of the affected
tissue with it... Cryotherapy may cause some discomfort... It is a relatively
effective measure with little risk of scarring... It is usually considered the
treatment of choice during pregnancy... This can be performed in your GP’s
practice or a sexual health clinic by an experienced doctor or nurse... The service
is often free in sexual health clinics..