Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
What is it? I’m at wits end

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

What is it? I’m at wits end

I have been to see my family doctor and a dermatological nurse practitioner (as the good doctor was out) about some spots that are on my penis.   I got to very different reactions.

First let’s look at my symptoms:
• Itching sometimes  with a mild burning before bumps appear (this comes for a few weeks/months (1 or 2) and goes away)
• 2 bumps close together located on the underside of my penis on that thin web of skin were the head meets the shaft
• Bumps are usually flesh colored though at times may look red
• Bumps seem to grow and shrink and at times seem to disappear  

I went to my family doctor with a fear that I might have HPV but he did not seem concerned saying that it didn’t look like any STD he had ever seen. The doc gave me a anti fungal cream with a steroid to treat the issue but no tests where ever run.  The cream seemed to help a little but after a year of use never made any dramatic change.  
The dermatological nurse practitioner took one look and almost cried saying that it was “Simplex.” I asked her what that was and she said it’s a type of Herpes… my heart sank.  At my insistence she ran a blood test for type 2 and later type 1… both came back negative.  

Reentry I used Monistat 7 mixed with vinegar at the recommendation of a friend that thought my penile sounded like a penile yeast infection.  Wow… I can’t begin to describe the relief I felt after only my second day!  Around day 5 though I noticed those 2 bumps starting to form again… that was about 6 days ago and now they are larger than ever.  The vinegar irritates these bumps turning them dark at first and after that dark skin was washed away it started to make the skin liter collard (white or yellow at times) and the skin tends to become harder and from a scab like layer of skin.  The skin always seems to return to a normal cooler and the bumps seem to shrink a little over night.

Any thoughts?  
Okay, Lets start with this.. how long after your LAST UNPROTECTED sexual encounter was your HSV1 and 2 blood test? If you tested before 4 months post your last exposure your herpes test was not conclusive.

Now let me say you NEVER want to try to self medicate... you should have continued to work with either your doctor or the dermatologist.  Which you need to start doing again...

You can have a biopsy on one of the bumps. But we can't diagnose you
I believe I was exposed in early to mid 2006 and had no symptoms until 2008.  I finally convinced the dermatological nurse practitioner to test me back in January of this year. There wasn’t much visible there to the naked eye and I wanted to know for sure what I was dealing with.  I hear a lot of people saying that symptoms don’t usually present until your immune system is compromised.  My immune system must have been pretty low from early 06 to just a couple of months ago.  I had a stomach condition were I couldn’t hold anything down and in January 08 I thought I was just about dead.  No joke.  

I knew I should have seen a medical professional but with my experience they just don’t listen.  My family doctor just laughed at me… and said here use this anti fungal steroid going on to say that “it didn’t look like any STD he had ever seen” in his 25 year of practice…. real professional hu.  And the dermatological nurse practitioner (who looked 28 or 30 maybe) seemed more scared then I was. Didn’t even want to run a test on me… at all.
I'm sorry to hear that!! I hope you are doing much better.

I'm also sorry to hear that you have dealt with unprofessional doctors. My best suggestion would to find a doctor that you trust, one that is going to listen and take the time to test you properly. I don't know where you are located such as state but I'm sure you can google it and find one near you. this is something you most def. have to work with a doctor to figure out. It will just be finding a good one OR having a one on one with your current doctor and tell him/her that this isn't a laughing matter and he/she needs to properly test you and if they aren't willing to do so to have them send you to one who will.

If you have any questions about HPV feel free to ask.

I recommend taking vitamins such as C,E, and D... If not already, eat healthy and exercise. Of course with your recent condition you should run this through your doctor that treated you for your life treating condition.