What is the difference between genital warts and the HPV wart strain?
In health class at school they have always told us that if you have genital warts, you have them for life. Well recently I got some warts down there that lasted about a week or two. I freaked out and had my mom take me to the doctor and I found out I had HPV :(. I'm guessing I've had it for about 8 months now, and the doctor told me my immune system is better than the average person and the average person has HPV for about 8-18 months. I'm really healthy and young, I exercise and eat right and take vitamins and get lots vitamin C(helps your immune system), so it should probably go away soon. She told me my HPV will go away, so that means no more warts, right? I also asked her what the difference between genital warts and HPV is, and she said they're the same thing... Which really confused me, because HPV is temporary, and I've always been told that if you get genital warts you have them for life?? I'm so confused, could someone tell me the answer to this? Thanks in advance :)
There are around 100 strains of HPV, some responsible for Genital Warts,  .  Eventually your body should fight off the infection symptoms within 2 years but there is no cure for the virus.  Some people only have one episode of warts others can have a recurrance years down the line.  Due to there being no test to establish if you are actually over the virus you can only go by having not had any warts for a number of years, even then you can not be sure if they will return!  HPV is the virus and the symptoms some people show when infected are warts.  Some peope will carry HPV and never show any symptoms yet infect others.
Of those over 100 strains are about 40 that are gential strains. Low risk strains can cause warts, high risk strains can cause cell changes. Once you have a strain you do have it for life and can never get that same strain again. You can have both high and low strains. HPV is very common and most sexually active adults will have it in their lifetime, many of those never have symptoms. Those who do have symptoms usually pass them within 24 months. You are right, the immune system plays a big role in this and you are doing good to take care to boost it with diet and vits. Some people have their HPV dormant for years then have symptoms and some people have flare ups from time to time.