Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Will HPV stay dormant in the body?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Will HPV stay dormant in the body?

I read somewhere online that for most of the time, HPV will clear themselves from the infected body.

What does that mean? Does it mean the virus will stay dormant and will spread to others by skin contact(just like HSV)? or it is totally gone?  

Could anyone please explain to me, if you know? Thanks!!

This question is subject to debate. On the Doctor's Forum, they have said that it is probable the virus clings to DNA at very low levels but you are no longer infectious after 3-24 months. So they think it stays dormant and will only spread to others if you become infectious again. Some other doctors claim it is gone for good which is why why some women seem to get good test results for many years. So the term "cleared" here means that you are not infectious at this time. What that really means for the future is uncertain.
thanks for replying!

You said:
"So they think it stays dormant and will only spread to others if you become infectious again."

What do you mean by "I become infectious again"?
Did you mean when i get the virus again from another person?

Or you meant the virus resurfaces and makes me become infectious again? (just like HSV? )

Thanks!!
You cannot get the same strain(s) you have now from anyone else. You can get another strain from others. Some doctors believe that a lowered immune system can trigger you to become infectious again with or without warts. If you are young enough to get the vaccine, you should get it in case you do not have the strains it protects you from. When men do become infectious again, they have no idea since men cannot be tested. Only if a wart shows up and if it is biopsied can you know if it is the same strain as the one you had. Some women who become infectious again don't know unless they get tested or see an active wart.  
ah ok. It is very much the same as Herpes then. A few years later, research might prove that they can even spread when there is no symptom. great.