Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
a couple questions

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

a couple questions

I have a couple questions regarding hpv genital warts that I have not found answered elsewhere.

1. Does hpv stay in the skin tissue, or does it get into the blood as well? The reason I ask is because mine have appeared at the very base of my penis, or even a cm away from the base. I assume this is because I always wear a condom so it protected my penis (thank goodness). However, I've read some places that the virus is in the blood? If that was true, wouldn't the warts pop up everywhere, not just at the exposed areas?

2. I've seen 2 doctors, and both said that warts will generally not go away without treatment.  However, the cdc and other reputable sources say the majority of people will "clear" the infection within a year or two. Can you clear the virus but still have the physical symptom of a wart? Or do the doctors just not know what they're talking about?

I'm not sure if I just had my second outbreak or if I just noticed a new wart for the first time. It had been a month since I had them frozen of by the doctor, and I decided to shave my pubic region so I could see immediately if more started to crop up. Those little things can be tough to find. I found one more (possibly 2) while I was shaving. Of course I was devistated, as I was hoping I had put all this behind me. Also i'm concerned the shaving may spread the warts. My plan is to self treat with something called wartstick for a couple weeks until I get home and can see the doctor again, By that time I'll hopefully know if that second one is a wart or just a tiny clogged pore. Right now it's too small to be frozen off anyway.

A note to all other users: when you post about your condition and the treatments your trying, please update your post if it's successful. I suspect that once somebody is cured they just want to move on and forget about it, so they don't think to return here and update everybody. However that leads to this forum being a very depressing place with no success stories. I'll be sure to return and update everybody, and I hope all of you will do the same.

1. HPV is a skin disease but like any virus, it clings to DNA. Warts can pop up in any genital area it wants to (butt, thighs, crotch, etc). Some men get them where you did. Some get them in anal area without ever having anal sex.

2. Clearing the virus means that your immune system has successfully made it to such a low level that no test (women) can detect it. Not that your warts are cleared. Some people who have high risk strains do not get any warts. If a wart is present, it should be removed by a doctor, IMO. Esp if it doesn't go away by itself over time.
I would have to correct your second point for sure. The hpv strains that cause warts are all considered to be low risk, and they do not cause cancer. None of the high risk strains cause warts

As to your first point, I'm not sure how "it clings to your DNA" supports your view that they can pop up anywhere regardless of where you were exposed. Could you explain that?

Everything I've read says that, although there are some exceptions, the vast majority of anal warts cases are found in men who have receptive anal intercourse. Wouldn't that support the theory that they don't just pop up randomly, but tend to arise where the skin was exposed?