Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
can I pass this to my kids unknowingly?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

can I pass this to my kids unknowingly?

Ok this might sound totally paranoid but I didn't know until just recently after watching a TV show about STD's that HPV is also a leading cause of oral cancer.  I'm assuming since I have it that my husband has it.  My question is, and I have no idea if I do, but if I ended up with it in my mouth as a result of oral sex with my husband, by sharing food or drinks or kissing, can it be spread from me to my kids?  I don't wish all these unknowns on anyone and since I'm constantly worrying about their well being I need to find some answers here.  also along that line, can it be spread by sharing bath or unchlorinated water like wading pools?  I would assume not in a pool because of  the chlorine levels.  I know, maybe paranoid hahaha.... but it had me up half the night thinking so I'm hoping someone might be able to shed a little light on this so I can quit thinking so much LOL  thanks
Actually most experts aren't convinced that HPV is a leading cause of oral cancer. There have been studies that show an association between HPV and oral cancers, but they haven't proved causality.

Anyway, HPV cannot be transmitted in any of the ways you have listed.
thanks so much!  I've been trying to learn as much as I can, like most people out there, but the information is overwhelming. I 'm trying to understand this as best I can and I really appreciate your time:)
Although my transmission statement is accurate, perhaps the oral cancer bit was a bit off.

I found this post today on the expert forum where Dr. Handsfield discusses HPV and throat cancer risk.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/HPV-and-oral-cancer-risk-in-male/show/1181303
Thats why I was worried about it.  Sometimes when we're out I have shared a bottle of water with my kids.  my fear was if I have it, then do they get it by sharing the bottle?  I haven't found anything to support that idea though and it is a concern.  Thanks again
No, it isn't spread that way.
I have HPV and dont know if I have it in my mouth or not. Could you tell me where you got the info on it not being able to be spread in any of the ways mentioned in this post? I'd really like to be sure. I am terrified since I share food and drink with my family and we have a wading pool that is not chlorinated, that I will pass it on to someone in my family. I like you have spent TOO MANY hours up worrying about this and decided to come online to seek some help, but have found so many different answers that I need some definite info for once! Thanks for your time!
For the OP, this is the link i shared with scaredmom00

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/hpv-transmission-via-plastic-fork/show/1043829
hahaha i thought i was the only one who was paranoid like this...!!! check out my question too and you might be reassured a bit.. but i worry exactly about the same thing you posted.. even with reassurance, i still worry. :( I think its a psycological thing, and a feeling of guilt we have if we were ever to be accountable for this happening to our kids by accident.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Human-Papillomavirus-HPV/Can-my-child-get-hpv-or-rrp-from-me-/show/1175737?personal_page_id=1083177&post_id=post_5385253

Mayflowers and alex seem like they are very knowlegable.. and I trust their opinions and research. :)

Try and relax about this stuff... i know its easier said than done.
My post doesnt include about the oral to oral because ive researched that already , and know its not transmitted that way.

My doctor told me its also not transmitted through bath towels, baths, etc.
Thanks so much for everyones particiaption in this!  It's such a source of frustration, but your support is very helpful!  I'm relieved to read your answers, although I'll probably still worry also, but they are very helpful:)