Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
confused over statistics

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

confused over statistics

When you read about hpv, you're told that 90% of infections will clear within 2 years. Sounds great!

However, when you do research on whether genital warts will go away without treatment, suddenly things don't sound so promising. You get a bunch of "probably not" responses, and I read in one place that only 30% of warts will resolve on their own.

So what gives?

I had my first outbreak of warts treated, and since then I've gotten 2 more. They're so small you wouldn't notice them unless you look really closely, and even when you know where to look one of them is tough to see.. I don't know if I should go have them removed or wait for them to go away.
In 90% of cases, the body’s immune system clears HPV naturally within two years.  But, sometimes, HPV infections are not cleared and can have HPV even if years have passed since he or she had sexual contact with an infected person.
For small warts, several medications(like podophyllum resin, Podofilox (Condylox), Trichloroacetic and bichloroacetic acids, Imiquimod 5% cream and interferons) are available, which can be applied directly to the surface of the warts.Other treatment options include electrical cautery, surgical removal, Carbon dioxide laser treatment and electrodesiccation.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Get the warts removed, The quicker you are wart free, the better. Your recovery really starts when there are no more.
I already saw a doctor for the first two warts I saw. He said they were warts, which I suspected already. He then said "if they're not bothering you, I'd suggest you just leave them alone." When I asked if they'd go away on their own given time, he said no. I told him I wanted them gone, and he froze them off.
Having done my own research since then, I'm not in I big rush to go back and see the same doctor. He obviously had no idea what he was talking about, and didn't even discuss other treatment options.
I've been self-treating (oh the horror!) the two other warts I found with salicylic acid. They're not in a sensitive area, so I wasn't concerned with using it. One is gone already, and the other has definitely decreased in size. I'm a pretty healthy guy, so I'm hoping my immune system will clear the virus very soon and I can move on with my life.
It's really sad how little is known about this disease in the medical community. Outside of a few CDC reports, it's impossible to find any reliable information. I saw a "specialist", and he was clueless about the most common std in the world.