Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
does HPV cause an itching sensation or burn feeling

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Ok, so I would really like someone on here who has been diagnosed with HPV, preferably a female since I am a female, to tell me what it feels like?  Does it itch? Does it burn?  I have had two bartholin surgeries and now My vagina does not look as it should.  I had to have many suchers in my crotch and on the outer part of my crotch, so I have little bumps that look like white pimples where the suchers were.  I have noticed lately that my rectum now has these white little bumps around it and they look like white heads. My rectum itches sometimes, does HPV itch? Should I be having an itchy burny feeling?  It's not unbearable and not a constant feeling, but I am scared.  I was active with someone who has it, only his hand touched his penis and then he touched my vagina, I'm pretty sure he had warts on him at that time. Really!!! Please some one tell me.

I am also female and have been diagnosed with hpv  from a biopsy, My warts are what they call flat warts . My first signs of the hpv was itching and burnig .I went to several Doctors and they said I was fine . I knew there was something wrong cause the itching never went away and just didnt feel right down there but after numerous Doctors I finally got a  gyn that did a biopsy ,but in that time(6 months ) I also had 3 negative hpv pap smears test .It took them 6 months to diagnose it .! Its now 8months and I still am itching and burning ...... but the docor tells me this is not typical . This happend very shortly after a new partner 1 time encounter  with a condom. Hpv can present it self in diffrent way on different people .... thats why I told you my whole story . some people never even know they have it ... My suggestion  Is to see a good gyn or std clinic should also be able to diagnose hpv ...... I hope this helps and good luck !!!!!!
I was diagnosed a several years late 2006 shortly after a new partner as well.  At first i had some redness and irritation and treated it like a yeast infection, but it didn't seem to work.  At my next gyn appt, my hpv test came back positive.  I tested positive again six months later, but I didn't experience any more irritation other than at the initial infection.  Six months after that, I tested negative.  Was negative until early 2009, test came back positive and then started having incessant itching since April 2009.  Mostly on than off.  My gyn said itching is not a symptom and according to the CDC website, it's not.  But I went to another gyn and she said a lot of her patients with hpv complain of itching.  I feel the symptoms should be revised to include it, but who knows how that goes about.  And, no, I do not have crab, pubic lice, scabies or even yeast infections as of late.  This is driving me crazy and is my biggest regret in life.  And the fact that there are no hpv tests for men makes it hard if you're trying to be careful about contracting STD's.
I've had terrible burning/ itching in my vaginal area since the time I was about 12 yeard old (I lost my virgininy at 19) It would be worse around my period and especially bad overnight,  (it would often wake me up) and after sex and it was a constant thingI attributed it to yeast infections and would do what I could to treat. after using monistat it would go away for a while and then flare up again. Id actually put vinegar on myself when I was a kid and it would burn like hell bu then the itching would subside. From spring to summer of 2009 It seemd especially bad and monistat wasnt working at all (not even for a few days. I used and antifungal a final time in the spring. I was diagnosed with warts at the end of august 2009 (im 39)  and got them removed by chryo and havent had even one burning/itchy episode since even during my period, even after sex. I know this isnt supposed to be related because
1. warts are supposed to go away even w/o treatment after 2 years
2. warts are only spread through sexual contact
Just seems rather a coincidence that im not itchy anymore (not that im complaining as its wonderful)
I think theres a lot about this virus that is unknown
You said, you're HPV test came back positive. Then 6 months later, you tested postive for HPV again. Then 6 months after you tested negative for HPV, meaning you were cleared from HPV. BUT, then you said you came back positive for the HPV test in early 2009.

Did you have any sexual relationship, anything at all in between the time you came out negative and then positive???? I thought the HPV infection was supposed to clear up??
?
mellie...hpv can "clear"/go dormant BUT can reappear when the immune sysytem weakens..docs have NO idea if the infection just goes dormant OR actually goes away in some pple which is why they/we  should assume that it's always in your body whether or not your test changes from pos. to neg! And introducing a new partner can also be introducing a new strain of HPV!! sucks since men can't be tested that they/you never know if they have an active infection.. which is why it's VERY common for pple to have more than one strain!
This is interesting, it freaks me out. I came out negative for 20 HPV strains, after discovering I had anal warts deep inside 2 months before. By the time of the 2 months that passed, my warts had gone by dr looking, and my HPV came out negative. I'm a guy, in UK I found a place who test for HPV in men too! I took anal swab.

I had dirty enema put in my anus, it was sterilized poorly I believe, and re-used on multiple people! This now makes me think, "I might have multiple strains from that incident, that may one day become active."

This is all confusing me now! :(

On this site it suggests, it goes away and it cannot re-appear. I hope mellie could indicate about whether she had a relationship or not to help answer the point.
to innocent11 and roses 711:

I might not have been using the proper terminology, but pap tests results can go from postive to negative to back to positive.  i know, crazy.  not, not in a new relationship.  and I feel dirty and soiled, though i know i shouldn't.  i hope this goes away.

innocent11, i'm sorry about what happened to you, that's just the worst.

I think it is important to remember that a PAP test is not a test for the HPV virus.
Oh I see. Ok, because I had specific tests done for HPV, which came out negative. I also had a anal pap smear done, the doctor said the cells were ok.

Sometimes the PAP tests go positive or negative. Anybody know why?

I feel dirty too mellie123, and yea it's affecting me a lot, because I get freaked out when I think about it. I also got the anal warts, when I was a virgin. Never kissed nor nothing. :( I slept with prostitutes in Amsterdam, protection, rules about no kissing etc there too, very strict. I did it to get experience and doctor said I had nothing to worry about. Now with the HPV thing, and me looking into it, I haven't dated, since I got back, I've never had a gf actually. I will see how my mind heals over the next few months.
Could you explain why pap tests go from negative to positive? If my HPV came out negative, then I'm ok I guess>? But what if paps show different results etc??
Although it is uncommon, sometimes old infections will come back. Doctors feel there is no way to predict who will be affected.

It also could be a new, or different infection.

Again, you are stressing over a visual diagnosis of warts, something that doctors will get wrong, for an exposure that carried just about zero risk. In either case, the symptoms are no longer present...
Old infections come back......

I hope the new research is correct, that in MOST people the infection is cleared up totally. That's why I'm waiting to date, to make sure all is well a few months down the line.

x
I am sure your information is right.
Yeah, I'm so not in the mood to be with anyone right now.  Libido seems to be in the negative numbers, but I'm trying to be positive about it and focus on getting healthier and boosting my immune system which would help prevent outbreaks.  Wishing all of us luck and a cure, you never know.
i'm a guy and i've had itching and tingling since october. had nothing visible, tried medicine for yeast infection, somekind of pills for balancing bacteria and some against chalmydia. nothing helped. have been checking out different sites but there's very little about these types of symptoms. would be cool to know for how long does this last. could anyone share experiences? the itching is annoying as...
HPV BURN & ITCH RELIEF SOLUTION
HPV causes burning and itch in some. EVEN if you don’t have warts! It can be relieved with OVER THE COUNTER Monistat Soothing Care Itch Relief cream that is used externally and has 1% Hydrocortisone cream in it.  I cannot tell you how disappointed I am to read what I am reading all over the Internet. One doctor says  this isn’t a sign of HPV= burning and itch.  IT CAN BE!  So is that pit of your stomach ulcer type feeling. It’s terrible and I couldn’t find anyone one with a solution to the burning pain.  I knew that yeast infection products would help so I went to the drug store and found the Monistat Soothing cream for under $5.00.  I realize now that I had HPV way back in 1991. They did not test for it back than. My doc said I had vaginitis.  NO it was HPV. I had it for 2 yrs back than. It's Sept 2010 &  I have it again now!  
Thank you so much for sharing this with us,I will try it tomorrow ;)
did you ever get rid of the feeling?  I have the exact same thing exactly like yours except with pelvic discomfort too