high risk HPV
Hey all,
With a lot of conflicting info that I have read over the past few days I figured I would ask to see if anyone knew for certain the answer to my question. I am 22 and have only been with one man. We were in a monogamous relationship for a little over four years. We broke up, but we played out the "friends with benefits scenario". Until recently the only partners we were sleeping with were each other despite the lack of a defined relationship. Sometime within the last month he has had sexual intercourse (oral and vaginal I believe) with a woman that has cervical cancer. I am assuming HPV is the cause, but I have never met the woman and my partner didn't know specifics. I am also not sure whether they used protection or not (I will assume not though since he is sterile). I didn't know about this encounter at first, but when I found out she had cancer I didn't know about HPV. I have had both oral and vaginal intercourse more than once with this man since his experience with this other woman. What I want to know is:

1.) How likely is this to pose a serious problem for me? I have read most people's immune systems fight HPV off without much problem, but since she actually has cancer I figured my risks were higher.

2.) Since I had unprotected oral sex with him (giving/recieving) is high risk HPV likely to be spread by kissing? I am interested in another man and I don't want to pass it on.

3.) How long should I wait before I get tested? I have heard some STDs don't develop right away and I haven't really seen a time put on HPV.

Any well founded advice and comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :)
You have a lot of good questions - I'd suggest paying $15.00 and posting them on the STD Doctor's forum to get expert advice.
These are some good questions...I seriously doubt you can pass High Risk HPV by kissing..if i remember reading correctly it is very rare but not impossible to pass hpv orally....and in most cases where it is passed that way it is because the person has other diseases that compromise the immune system....As far as getting tested when you go for your pap..it is the perfect time for testing..if there is anything abnormal with your pap then you will know whether or not you have hpv as they run additional tests to see if you are hpv +...AS FAR AS your being affected by it being that you just had relations with him (im assuming less than a year ago) if they find HPV on your cervix, you have plenty of time to get it fixed, and treated...
And by fixed and treated i mean go to your routine yearly paps and you have plenty of time before it can even develop into cervical cancer...as long as you go to your yearly paps you should be ok.