Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
how long for genital warts to appear?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

how long for genital warts to appear?

I have been looking on this website all day and haven't come across the answer to my question. If I've overlooked it please just direct me. Anyways, here is my question. I was just informed that a bump I had removed from the base of my shaft with the pubic hair line was a genital wart. I have been in what I have assumed was an monogamous relationship for almost one year. We've been having unprotected sex the entire time. My question is how long does it take for genital warts to appear once contracted? And a second related question, have I given my girlfriend genital warts? Please help me.
Genital warts appear whenever they feel like it. ( ITS TRUE). So it can take anywhere from months to years ( because HPV infection like to start dormant). With that being said, if you and your gf has been having unprotected sex, she is for sure infected. However, the good news is, she may or may not get genital warts, and even if she does, she will be able to get rid of the warts and the HPV virus like everyone else does.

Btw, you having genital warts does not mean your girlfriend has been cheating if thats what you are thinking about. You could have had an HPV infection from a girlfriend you dated years ago and your infection just became active.
Is this really true. Can you have had wart virus dormant in your body for a long time, say ten years and not infect anyone else, then it just appears and you get visible warts which you can then infect others with? So potentially a very long term relationship could have one partner develop warts out of the blue with the other one not being infected. Obviously once the warts are visible the other partner would be at risk of infection. Can people clarify this for me please?
Yup, but then once it is active, your body will start to fight it off. You can also have the wart virus active and not have warts.

You know what, either way HPV is not preventable and its not a big deal. It is treatable and it is not forever. Many of my doctor has told me the same, why worry about something you really can't control and essentially is  "a fact of life".
Thanks for this. I wonder how many married couples have accused each other of affairs because of this? Why do some doctors then still say they have to appear within six months of infection? There seems to be a huge difference in medical advice and guidance on this!