Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
how long hpv lasts

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

how long hpv lasts

I have read in many places that hpv/gential warts go away in almost all cases within 1-2 years. I have had very small warts that are hard to see unless you really stretch the skin present for about 6 months now and have been using condolyx gel, and have seen some clearing up but it doesnt seem like i can get everything to go away.  Just wondering if anyone knows if it is normal to have warts present all the time during those 1-2 years when the virus is in the process of being cleared by the immune system.  I am starting to wonder if i will ever get rid of these things.  
please can someone answer my question
Well, its not 100% sure by any medical research or study that the virus will go away after 2 years or so but in vast majority of people the immune system becomes able to build antibodies to fight infections caused by the virus... The virus is something that once entered a body never leaves but can be suppressed by our immune system or any medical therpy helping our immune to overcome the situation to such a state that its undetectible so it doesn't cause any infections like in your case warts... Most of the medical experts believe that if you don't get any new wart during a period of 2 years, it is likely that your body has taken control over the virus and you are no more contagious to pass it onto others... If you still get some new warts appearing, it is likely that your body is still in process of handling the virus and you are contagious...

One more thing, the best thing you could do is keep removing the warts and have a healthy life style, sleep well, eat healthy food, stop smoking & alcohol use if you do, have multi vitamins especially those contain vitamin C & follic acid and do regular excercises... this is best to help your immune get more strength...
thank you Naveed, and yes I have been eating better, cut back on alcohol, I have been taking a multi vitamin and been working out.  Also I do not smoke.  I really hope I am part of the vast majority of people and my body takes control of this virus.