Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
hpv help

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

hpv help

I was with my ex boyfriend for 5 years. He developed bumps on his penis 2 years into our relationship. I made him go to the doctor who said it was normal and not contagious and nothing to worry about. he gave a name but i forgot. He said he could have them removed but it was cosmetic. We broke up 3 months ago and went to have them removed because he was embarrassed for future partners now he says it's genital warts and I gave it to him because he was with only one women for 11 years prior to me. Well I immediately went to my doctor who gave me a pap smear, an hpv test and a pcr test, all negative. I go to my doctor regularly and have never had an abnormal pap or any warts. My doctor says he's just being meif my pap an and I don't have it. But I'm scared. Can I still have it? We were having unprotected sex for 5 years 3 of which he had these bumps, but I never did. Who do I believe? And if I do can I pass it to future partners
Tags: HPV, hpv help, bumps on genitals
Avatar n tn
Your ex-BF is not lying about having HPV. Men do not lie about things like this. Your ex-BF has no clue who gave it to him, you or the woman he was with priot to you. It can be dormant in a person's body for years before showing up. That you had un-safe sex with him means you were exposed to it too. That your recent tests are negative can only mean 2 things: Either the virus is at such low levels that no test can detect it or your body's immune system is so strong that it cleared the virus from your body after 6-24 months of first exposure. You will never know which it was. And medical science still disagrees on whether the virus is permanently removed from your body or that it is dormant at very low levels. If I was you, I would believe your doctor's results and your ex-BF about having genital warts. I would not believe that you gave it him. That he was with one woman for 11 years (who may have cheated on him) is irrelevant to the theory that you infected hjim.

If you are sexually active and if you date people who are sexually active, then HPV is a fact of life. A risk of being sexually active. 85% of all sexually active adults have it (half don't know it) or will have it eventually. 90% of the infected will make the virus dormant within 6-24 months after exposure or after all warts are gone. As crazy as this sounds, the low risk kind that produces warts are just cosmetic issues even though they are caused by a STD. Keep getting tested regularly. Keep boosting your immune system via healthy living (no cigs, little alcohol), exercise, vitamins, lots of rest, reduced stress, etc and you may never be infectious and may never get a wart. To think you were not exposed at all just doesn't make sense to me.
Thank you so much for answering. My doctor thinks he's just being mean but I needed another option. Thank you