Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
hpv latency

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

hpv latency

I have been recently diagnosed with high rish hpv. I have been with only my husband (30 years) and never any one else.. He says he has always been faithful and I do not doubt him. I do however feel like I see evasive answers in info on the internet. Can hpv be latent for 30 years then pop up? Does it remain latent for a lifetime? I don't expect anyone to tell me if there has been cheating in my relationship. Of course no one can answer that. I just want a straight answer on the latency question. It is a little scarry to know that this has been with me so long and it can cause cancer. I have always had negative paps until now. The recent on showed ASCUS and high risk hpv       Thanks,
All I know is that HPV is very common and ASCUS is common.  High risk is the more common than low risk, I don't know why that is.  Low risk causes the warts but you can have low risk and not get warts.  

More than 80% of women have hpv by the time they are 50.  Most people get it when they are in their teens and 20's.  One sexual experience is all you need, it's very contagious.   It's a skin virus and lives in the skin.

These are just statistics that you will find on the web.  

Actually it's very possible for HPV to pop up from time to time b/c it's a virus, and like any virus (colds are virus's too) once you have it, it never goes away.   You are immune to getting the same one twice.  They can pop up when you are stressed or have another illness that lowers your immunity.  

If you go to your dr. they will probably not know anything about it or really be able to give you much direction.  At least, that's been my experience.  Hopefully you will have a different experience than me.  

Basically, just know that it is a very common virus, most people have it, it can be dormant and you test negative for it eventually.  I've tested negative for the past few years after having an abnormal pap (nothing was done, didn't need any surgery or anything).

Just keep up your dr's appt, get regular paps, eat right, quit smoking, take vitamin B for stress, and this will probably go away and revert back to normal.  If you need something done, it's very easy to take care of it.  

You said that you had an ascus pap before right? and it came back normal when it was repeated? i had my first abnormal pap in january 2010, i have my follow up in july...im terrified. I just want it to be normal, ive been taking a multivitamin, vitamin c...healthy eating, no smoking. My stress level with all this i wihs was lower but unfortunately its not. im just very worried. :( ive also been married for almost 5 years, with two beautiful babies. Any encouraging words would be much appreciated.