Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
hpv shows up on a pap test right?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

hpv shows up on a pap test right?

i know that usually people are tested for hpv after an abnormal papsmear, but lately ive been hearing that one can have a type of hpv and not even know it, assuming that their normal papsmear wouldve determined that.is this so?
Avatar n tn
You can be infected with many strains of hpv and still have normal paps and no complications. In fact, you may never have any complications. It's very individual. The only time anybody tests for hpv is if there is an abnormal pap or some other problem.

People really need to relax when it comes to hpv. It's every where and has been around forever. If you get yearly paps you should be covered. If something shows up abnormal you take it from there. Meanwhile, relax. I'd be more worried about getting the numerous other sexually transmitted diseases than I would hpv.